speedzone or 3 way

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by silverscapes, May 7, 2008.

1. silverscapes

silverscapes LawnSite Member
    from de

which do you prefer do i need to change to 3 way when temps get warmer or can i stay speedzone its a little pricey

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Cant really say for much warmer temps....

But I finished up my supply of Speedzone on April 25th. The ones I sprayed w/ Speedzone, the dandi's are smoked.....totally no evidence of them even being there. The ones I sprayed with Triplet LO are all curled, but some are still yellow and the ones that aren't went to seed. They'll likely die (I certainly hope so!), but this is coming up on two weeks and they're still there!

I am using a Permagreen Magnum and was mixing at 56 oz per tankful. I mixed the Triplet at 60oz.

Not to hi-jack, but to add to Silverscapes question....anyone using it all year with a Magnum?

3. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

I've had to drop back to 1.0-1.2 oz. of amine formulas during the summer to avoid burning lawns. I try to only spot spray if necessary so that I don't burn. Its all about your daytime temps right now, if you are getting alot of rain (like we are) you can mix hotter because the grass will outgrow the herb. burn. But be careful.

4. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Speedzone all the way! Customers love the quick results. Well worth the extra price compared to call backs. Rain safe in a few hours after applying too.

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want better clover and wild violet control, go w/ speed zone. 3 way works great on chick, dandi's and spurge. So both have a purpose in my truck.

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I used a 3 way spiked with QuickSilver.... which is basically what Speedzone is, on Monday. I figure I got the mix just right. Some small patches of stressed turf, and a fast kill on dandy's, chickweed and a quite a few other weeds, including wild geranium and violet. Nice and yellow looking weeds now. I like to see some slightly stressed turf.... not burnt, just a wee bit stressed. Means I got the app mix just right. Any more, I damage turf, and less, and it means another app.

I am using a backpack sprayer on smaller plots.... the big tank guys may have a different take on things.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody has mentioned if they use it during warmer spells.

8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Forget both of them and get some Momentum or Battleship (or something with triclopyr and/or fluroxypyr). I just stopped using SpeedZone and I don't think I will use it again except for select purposes. I sprayed some wild violet and creeping speedwell TWICE with it and got NOTHING. I swear the weeds were laughing at me. I sprayed the creeping speedwell again with Momentum and it's turning brown after 2 days.

love the pyridines

9. Rlclawnguy

Rlclawnguy LawnSite Member

I'm a huge fan of Speedzone and switched to it about 3 years ago and cant switch to anything else because the results are worth the extra money. My customers look at their neighbors lawn who was done by TGCL and I don't have to worry about my customer running to them. The results are fast and gets most stuff the first time. The only service calls I have are when I did a lawn when it was to short or when I do a lawn before they start to grow and the spring up after I leave. I use it all season long till about 85-90 with no problems. I might lower it a bit but Im running it at about 1.3-1.5 oz/k in most cases. This product sets us aside from a lot of our competition!

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

As I recall the active ingredient is Carfentrazone (Product Quicksilver). It does not list violets on the label. Nor spurge, nor oxalis--UNLESS- it is mixed with another product, like three way.