Speedzone Southern on hybrid bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Apr 9, 2005.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep running into new accounts with lots of broadleafs in the Bermuda. Right now, our Bermuda is coming out of dormancy here in North GA.

Many of the broadleaf herbicides based on 2,4-D warn against applying to Bermuda coming out of dormancy. The Speedzone Southern label does not specifically say that.

I'm thinking that it would be risky to apply it now. Anyone been in this position?

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

FWIW, I've been applying three way + quicksilver to bermuda, hybrid and common, and they're greening up nicely. Just applied some revolver to a new account and I can't wait to see how it turns out - I've never used revolver before.

Just out of curiousity, are you near Dawsonville?

3. ThreeWide

I live about 10 miles South of Dawsonville.

I've noticed the Lesco Threeway (amine) label says to use caution on bermuda coming out of dormancy, while Speedzone (ester) has no statements about it.

4. Williams Services

I can't say that I've had any problems with it. I'd say the speedzone should be safe, but being an ester, won't it volatilize when the temps get above 60-65ยบ? Then you've got to worry about it drifting off-target. I have never used any esters, so I'm still sort of leary of them.

There was a corn maze at a pumpkin patch north of Dawsonville when we were coming back from Amicalola 2 years ago. Do they do that every year?

5. ThreeWide

They still do the corn maze every year.

This product is Speedzone Southern. The formulation allows you to apply in temperatures up to 85 degrees according to the label. You can see from that why it is a Southern version.

6. Williams Services

K - I didn't think southern was an ester. I don't see the harm there ... Rich DTLC has had good results with it, he's in TN.

7. Turfdoctor

Turfdoctor LawnSite Member

24D ESTER WILL SET BACK YOUR BERMUDA IF APPLIED DURING GREENUP. IVE DONE IT. THE THREE WAY + QUICKSILVER WOULD DO LESS DAMAGE IF THE AMINE 3-WAY IS USED. hOWEVER, iF YOU COULD WAIT A FEW MORE WEEKS UNTIL FULL GREEN UP, IT WOULD BE SAFER. i HAVE FOUND IF YOU HAVE TO SPRAY DURING GREENUP, DICAMBA SEEMS TO DO THE BEST JOB WITH THE LEAST EFFECT ON BERMUDA COMING OUT OF DORMANCY. dICAMBA PLUS QUICKSILVER MAY BE A GOOD OPTION???Try the 40oz/acre rate of roundup next January before the bermuda starts waking up. Inexpensive compared to revolver, yet works really well.