Speedzone Southern on St. Augustine

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by centraltxturf, Mar 15, 2008.

1. centraltxturf

centraltxturf LawnSite Member

Just began using it because it was recommended by Lesco rep. Label says avoid using on st. augustine during green-up. i missed that point on the label before my first two tank mixes. i mixed at 1.5 oz/1000. I haven't seen any injury, but does anyone have positive or negative experience w/ this product on st. augustine during green-up?

speedzone southern has 10.49% 2,4-d. any concerns or positive/negative experiences? i know it's a product to avoid above 85 or so.

also, what rate do you use in a backpack. label was vague. i mix for 1.5 gal/1000 in tank.

what product do you like for post emergent wc in st.augustine?

Thanks!

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I like metsulfuron + Quicksilver for broadleaf weeds. For pre and post emergent control of everything else, simazine and Image. In my locale st augustine never goes dormant, however, I do not spray 2,4-D or anything containing it if the temps are going to be above 90 the week after application. That is a precaution I take for all grasses.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Certain culivars of St. Augustine will not tolerate speedzone. It's the Dicamba that you've got to watch. Half-rate would be better and test it on actively growing grass. What weeds are you controling? Look at Southern Ag's Weed Killer with Trimec.

4. centraltxturf

centraltxturf LawnSite Member

i've got a trememdous diversity of weeds here, probably like everyone else. i decided to go w/ speedzone southern because of the broad label. I'm controlling everything from dandelions, to yellow rocket, to spurge, chickweed, carpetweed, clover, woodsorrel, curly dock, dichondra and dozens of others that i want to have the best shot at controlling the first time. some johnson grass that i cannot control to my knoledge except for proper mowing practices by the homeowner.

5. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

We just tried treating some Johnson grass with Certainty in Centipede. I'll try to update on how it worked, label says suppression and may take several weeks for results.

6. greendoctor

I prefer Certainty over Sedgehammer because of the broader spectrum of activity. It wipes out or hurts lots of both broadleaf and grassy weeds. Sedgehammer/Manage was only good for nutsedge. I remember converting someone's lawn to kyllinga by using Manage because it did nothing to kill that weed. But it did a fabulous job on the purple nutsedge. Do not see much johnsongrass in lawns here, probably because normal mowing heights are 11/2" or less. Certainty will take up to 14 days to show signs of activity, however I have never yellowed or burned a well irrigated and fertilized lawn with it.

7. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

The guy I sprayed on Thursday is kinda' impatient, and I would've loved to use Speedzone. I sprayed another one of his properties with Speedzone and he liked the "instant" effect.

8. greendoctor

There is nothing other than Speedzone that works fast in centipede. I have been dealing with a massive infestation of crabgrass and paspallum in a centipede lawn. The only way out of this other than spotting with Quickpro or glyphosate is Vantage/sethoxydim and time. I will not do fast if it means the lawn will look like a missile test site after my application. My reputation in town is based on the fact that I can control weeds in lawns without spot spraying or killing the lawn. Vantage will probably do a job on the johnsongrass. This chemical is normally applied in field crops to kill noxious grasses, but by some quirk, centipede can tolerate this.

9. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Yes Vantage will be good on the centipede, BUT NOT ON ST. AUGUSTINE. You'd think that it would be about the same but NOT.
    I have a client yard that is a mix of St. Augustine and centipede. I have to be careful using the Vantage mix. A good summer mix for both St. Augustine and Centipede is .75 Atrazine + .45 Basagran /K. Basagran is good for the sedges and Atrazine for the other stuff. I use in a backpack and this mix is hot so be careful. We also do a blanket with the big sprayer of Dismiss in June which is also good for both.

10. greendoctor

You are quite right about the Vantage. Basagran is generally useless here. Most of the weeds in Hawaii are tolerant of Basagran. However, Image + simazine or atrazine works very well. Because centipede and st augustine never go dormant here, Image is relatively safe. Between August and October, maybe to December if it is stlll hot, I lay off of the herbicides to protect the grass. The cooler months of January to April are when I really hit a lawn. If you apply enough simazine or atrazine, there is no johnsongrass or crabgrass, not to mention most other weeds. I always encourage the lawn to grow thick and tight by fertilizing adequately. So in time, there is no longer a need for much herbicides. Because it is summer almost all year long here, once I have made the grass grow thick it stays that way. There are a number of lawns that I maintain that only require treatment for purple nutsedge. No other weeds are present.