Speedzone under trees

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by slemon, Apr 1, 2012.

1. slemon

slemon LawnSite Member

Is there a restriction on spraying Speedzone under trees? On one label it says not to spray roots of trees. Does it mean exposed roots or area under the canopy should be avoided altogether? Specifically fruit trees.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

This depends on your climate and soil. If you have sandy soil in a high rainfall area, I would not. Exposed roots and the tree trunks themselves should be avoided. They can absorb enough herbicide to affect the tree. This is an instance where an accurate application is important. An overdose for the area might not affect the grass, but the trees would know. I have used Speedzone and other more active herbicides under trees, but I know what rate of product per acre is being applied.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The main concern is the dicamba which is absorbed by the roots. But Speedzone has the same dicamba as Trimec. The root warning should be the same.
    The extra ingredient, carfentrazone has no effect on roots.

4. slemon

slemon LawnSite Member

sandy soil, irrigated lawn, application per label. So I probably should skip areas under trees.