speedzone

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by silverscapes, Apr 8, 2008.

1. silverscapes

silverscapes LawnSite Member
    from de

anyone use speed zone thinking about trying it

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Using Lesco Red Zone this year. It's a little cheaper than speed zone. Basicly the same product. I'll be starting that tomorrow.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i use it, very very very very very very goooooooooooood. i tried a knock off that was even made by pgi gordon and it was not as good. i like it very much, then again i like all thier products alot!

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I used it for 2 years and then cut it out. It's a good product, but not worth the premium they charge.

I liked it for its quick kill in cool weather... and now I just go straight 2,4-D Ester and get the same speed, but for a quarter of the price...

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Speed Zone and Quicksilver have the same trait :
    When used ALONE.....they usually burn down too fast to translocate thoroughly to the ROOTS !!

Alot of people get sooooooooo excited about their exxxxxxxxxcellant results with using these two products, when they see nice "brown & crispy" weeds all over the place...
    ...that they don't even realize that alot of the root tissue is STILL ALIVE and ready to regenerate all over again.

That's exactly why these products should be used (and even then, only sparingly), as "spiking" agents to a 2, 4-D or other (slower) traditional systemic broadleaf spray solution.

6. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Last i checked Speed zone contains 29% 2,4-d.

7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

doesnt speed zone have somewhere around 20% 2-4d?

8. grassman177

hey mis imformed guy, it kills the roots and keeps weeds at bay for about 3 or 4 weeks later with a proper application. it has residual and does not miss a step. i know this from A .working witht he product since it was only a trial sample, and B. the company who developed it is in my backyard so to speak and one of my college teachers is a high up dude at that company and he tells you how it is .

9. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Grassman,
    I've heard that speedzone has some residual, but have never read that in any literature, on the label, etc. Is that really true?

I've been using the product almost exclusively for the last 3 years. It's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. Using straight 2-4,D I could never touch clover in the springtime, even 3-way says clover control should be done in fall or go highest allowable rate. Speedzone will smoke it no problem. You could use speedzone to cleanup your lawns, then switch to another cheaper product if cost was a factor. I always thought that would be what I would do, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do so because I know I would be sacrificing some quality. You just have to charge accordingly. You might even be able to make a name for yourself in the abililty to kill the weeds the other guy missed.

Marcos,
    I don't want to sound like a know it all, but speedzone is 3-way with quicksilver in it.

10. grassman177

yeah, right on. i cant bring myself to use cheaper 3 ways now that speedzone is mixed for me. it is just too good, but yeah i get the results other companies doent and then get their customers. all cause i am willing to spend the money and it really does not affect the bottom line when you have no call backs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!