Spend my money!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr.Ziffel, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I had just decided to hold off on buying my ZTR until I could demo the Scag Advantage 62" deck and the Ferris IS4000. I've been leaning towards the Toro 62" 27LC Kawasaki and when I checked in with the dealer today, he offered me a 2001 60" LazerZ 27LC Kawasaki for the best price I've seen talked about on this board. At this point, my only hesitation is that I have to mow wet, sometimes long grass [north of Seattle] and even Lazer says that the ToroSFS deck does the best job.

Question is, will this Exmark do an acceptable job? I can't demo this particular mower although I have demo'd the 50" but not in the wet. I'm getting tired of asking and ready to buy, but of course fear of making the wrong decision holds me back. Help me out here. I know you all love your Lazer's so all I really need is encouragement or experience of how the deck cuts that thick, wet, crappy stuff. Thanks, Will

2. Buy a Toro with a 23hp kohler motor. You are only using this machine for home usage right?

The 23hp Kohler is a different engine vs. the 25HP.

3. Mr.Ziffel

Well, I do live there, but it's a commercial farm with 6-8 acres of finish mowing. Have to do it sometimes twice a week in spring. I want more HP for when I'm out of town and miss a cut and have to deal with the mess.

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchased my Toros (23/62) for less than $6 this spring.

I'm with Stone on this one. (pains me to say that ;))

From the weather channel (& watching Frasier ;)) it looks like it's ALWAYS raining there.

Bear in mind the Toro doesn't re-cut grass like an eXmark. That does 2 things: 1. Cuts wet grass better. 2. Reduces the power required for mowing. Probably makes a 2-3 horsepower difference (depending on grass & conditions) to run a Toro vs. Exmark deck.

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

We had pretty much rain here in ShoMeState this year, but I have lazer with 23 kaw. I was having a lot of problems with it but when they finally fixed it right,(should have been the first time :( ) it runs and cuts like a dream. As for as thick,wet grass, you will need to go over it a second time with the deck raised, which makes the stripes come out better and my prices are good enough to do this when needed to make the job look like a professional had done it.

6. Mr.Ziffel

Sorry if you've already answered this and I missed it, but what were the problems you had with your Lazer? Do you feel the 23Kawasaki would have enough power to run the UltraVac with the wet stuff? Thanks for answering.
    Will

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used them bith. 23 Kaw and a 25 kohler. THe Kaw has more power than the Kohler. I have a 23 Kaw with the vac. Bags well, under those conditions it would work well, not full speed though. The last thing you want to do is bag all that grass every week. The exmark deck handles wet stuff good.

Mow Money....What kind of problems did you have??

8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Mr Ziffle,
    The Exmark works great in wet grass. You just change to high lift blades, or use the Exmark mulching blades they work to, it really depends on how wet it is. Don't try to use Gators or it will turn the grass into wet sticky mush which makes a mess.

The other issue would be weight. The 26 efi Kohler would weigh less than the 22 LC or 27 LC Kaw. Check the differences and go with either but don't go with the 23 or 25 Kohler, stick to 26 efi Kohler or the LC's.

The advantage of the Exmark is you can chop the grass up finer on the nice days.

9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Cutter1, Mr. Ziffle:
    I have a lazer z 23hp kaw. 52inch cut with ultra vac.
    The problems were that it would bog down in thick grass always had to double cut everything, the blades seemed to be turning slower, and when i first picked unit up it burned 4 gal gas in an hour. I took it to dealer 4 times they fixed problem with gas burning but all other problems were still there. On the fourth time they finally adjusted high end idle,when i started unit up it sounded like it was running faster, when I started cutting thick,wet grass it went right thru it, no problems. I think this should have been checked the first time, since I told the dealer that it sounded like it was running low rpms. It is a gerat machine and the other day while I was cutting before using ultra vac it started raining and had a little problems with thew grass clumping in vac, but I think that would be with just about any vac system in thick wet grass. In the spring I cut grass, then raise the deck up to high position and go over it again and the lazer does a great job. I don`t know how the 23 hp would be on larger decks but it seems to have a lot of power and torque for my 52 inch.I found everything has its problems but I think the dealer support after the sale would be my biggest concern now.I definetly would not be going back to that dealer!

10. The 23HP engine on the 62" toro ztr is a KOHLER (not the same as the 25) not a KAW.

I have a five year old 18hp Kohler command (same family as the 23)on a gear drive traction unit that has 30 lbs of torque to rock your world. It is hooked to a 62" deck and makes a great cheap reliable wide area mower that gives a great finish cut with power to spare.