spending to much time being perfect

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Nov 6, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Until recently I tried to make every lawn I cut perfect, whether or not it had any chance to be or not. Recently I stopped this as the excessive trimming made me wonder what would happen if I didnt trim quite as much. To tell you the truth my production has increased, no complaints and driving by the properties I don't notice anything. I am beginning to think I am just way too picky, most arent. Anybody else have the same realization?

2. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I do that my self ....Fact of the matter is . You do what you know you can get away with...after you do this type of work long enuf you know what needs to be done when you show up ....sometimes b-4 you show up!

3. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

THis time of year you can get by with not much trimming/ edging. It works for me. I think I trim about every other week and some once per month. It is amazing how much time is saved, but come spring you know the drill.

i think we all deseve a brake sometimes.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

quality is everything!!!!!!

5. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I can't tell if you are talking about trimming hedges or trimming after you mow. In Florida you don't have choice if you trim after you mow or not. It must be done or it will look like crap. As for hedges I like to trim often so I can blow the clippings under the hedges, this saves time on clean up work plus it makes the yard look nicer. Like the above post said "Quality is everything."

6. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

Same here. I seems like I spend more time trimming than do cutting the lawn. This year being the first year for me (really 1/2 year. July 2001 start), I have the time to be picky/ fussy. I really don't think it was a problem until about a month ago when I got hit with some "RAIN DELAYS" and I ended up trying to get as much done in one day as I could to get back on schedule. I knew I couldn't do it myself so I hired a day laboror for $10.00 hour. What a time saver! I COULD BE picky/ fussy because with the extra set of hands allowed me to at a reasonable cost to me. On my own, NO WAY....I have SOOO much to learn in this field, I know there are some shortcuts I can perform..but I feel that leads the way to a HALF-A$$ed job to present and future customers. Do it once, do it right! Charge accordingly.

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Gentlemen,

There are only 2 waysto do a job.

You can do the job right ..... or

you can do the job over!!!!

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It comes to you after a while. Every job I go in to, I make the same moves, and walk the same paths. Every move I make is for a reason. Much like a sport, anymore. People have said they enjoy watching the way I work, (whatever THAT means!)

9. grass chaser

grass chaser LawnSite Member

I agree with Runner that the more you do your properties the better you know them. It becomes a pattern and if done properly it will save you time and money. That is why I always try to keep the same people on the same route. They know the property and they know how to get it done in the least amount of time and done properly.

10. casey

casey Guest

One of the biggest myths perpetrated by this board is that the customer actually notices your "perfect" lawn & this gets you business. It has been my extensive experience that the customer notices only that the lawn was cut on the scheduled day. Your stripes, perfect edging & clean drives, walks etc. are wasted on yourself. By incorperating this fact we have been able to greatly increase the amount of contracts we can service.