1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Spent hours on state and federal websites!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cylinder3missfire, Nov 9, 2009.

  1. cylinder3missfire

    cylinder3missfire LawnSite Member
    from IL
    Posts: 43

    Looking at the federal website I have decided that as a lawn care company a usdot# is not needed. However, nowhere can I find if any IDOT or ICC/MC #s are needed in illinois. I know farmers have to have them but that has to do with the grain they haul. My question is (for you illinois people) do we need any numbers on our trucks since they are commercial vehicles? I know if you run D plates they have to be inspected. But dont know about dot numbers.
  2. Kevin M.

    Kevin M. LawnSite Member
    Posts: 137

    You need a federal DOT number if your truck or combination -- truck and trailer weigh in excess of 10,000 pounds. You will also need a DOT medical card if your are driving a vehicle that weighs more than 10,000 pounds.
  3. unkownfl

    unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,838

    its not what it weighs its the gvw what it is capable of carrying.
  4. SangerLawn

    SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana
    Posts: 736

    Anytime you are a business and you vehicle has a gwr rating of 10,000 lbs you must have DOT numbers no matter what state you live in. go to your local state troopers office and talk to them about it. They normally are more then willing to help.
  5. Duffster

    Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest
    Posts: 1,193

    Only if in interstate commerce. Not all state require numbers for interstate commerce, like IL as the OP has figured out.

Share This Page