Spider Lifts

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting, Nov 23, 2007.

1. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I have found information on two different types of track drive personnel lifts.

The Teupen Spider Lift (Specifically the Leo 12G)
    http://www.spiderlifts.com/12g/index.html

And the Niftylift (Specifically the TD34TN)
    http://www.niftylift.com/pdf/Track Drive US IS-03.pdf

Has anyone used one of these?

Does anyone know of a company or person who owns one of these?

I would like to speak with people who have direct experience with this equipment.

Thanks and have a great day.

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Eden is the only one i have seen mention use of one so far. I have not seen him around much so maybe email him ? Some of us are stuck with good ol fashioned ladders or gaffs

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

These are pretty impressive but would they be cost effective? Where would you be needing a piece of equipment like this? Could that job be done with ladders or scaffold? Would you save enough time with this equipment to pay for it within a reasonable amount of time?

I'm sure you have already thought of these questions and have answers but I would like to hear them for my use. Maybe it would be worth the investment.

Thanks James,

4. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I would get one in a second. I can see where you can safely work where it is difficult to get other means of access. I do alot work on overhangs/decks, second story eaves. This would make things more efficient. Can't be any worse than a small car payment...LOL

When I would rent a concrete cutter, I grooved less, when I bough the concrete cutter I use it all the time. Now I can't imagine not having one.

5. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

Curse you James! [Tommy shakes his fist at James] Now there is another gadget I must consider! LOL!

P.S. My fiance's just rolled her eyes when she saw this....'Geeks and gadgets,' she says.

6. Pro-Scapes

I think Tommy hit it dead on... If you had it you would use it more. Kinda like "beam me up scotty" for tree and other high mounted fixtures. I probably would of done 2 jobs differently if I had one of these.

7. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I understand that if you have it, you'll use it but the question is, would it pay for itself? Is it worth the investment? How long would it take to pay for it? How many jobs would actually "need" this equipment and therefore make it a valuable piece of equipment.

When making a large purchase of this nature, it is very important that the equipment makes money. Would this equipment generate enough business to pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time? What about the insurance for this equipment also?

I'm just throwing some things out there so I can see if I would actually make this kind of purchase.

8. Pro-Scapes

I would have to say if you had enough business coming in where you could upsell designs to include advanced placments it would be a very valuble piece of equipment. It would help you take your designs to a whole new level making it nearly invaluble. This is considering you have the cashflow in your business to justify the purchase.

I think it would really be unjustified if your projects are like ours and only a few tree lights per job. By the time we loaded it... took it onsite... unloaded and manuvered to the needed area we could of carried our ladders in and been done already. There is areas like 30ft colonial collums and such where this piece of equipment would be perfect.

9. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Can't you rent this stuff? I can't even afford a new ladder.

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Turning into a good thread of messages guys, thanks for all the input.

We do a LOT of tree mounted downlighting here. By a lot I mean around 500 new fixtures in trees in any given year. We also do a lot of building mounted fixtures, generally at the top of gables, second and third story heights. Then there are the large service jobs... I figure I have around 4000 lights in trees now. All of this equates to a lot of trips up and down the 32' extension ladder. ( I wear one out every year. )

I am 40 now and my installer is 42. I have suffered two big falls off the ladders in the past 10 years and I have no intention of ever having another fall. They are truly horrendous accidents that hurt and take away your confidence for some time after.

So, the case for owning one of these in my business is pretty strong all around. The Teupen Leo 12G is around $51k plus about $6 to $10K for the trailer/float that would be required to move it around. From a safety standpoint alone I think the cost is justifiable. (Heck my disability insurance runs $2k per year just for me)

From a speed and efficiency standpoint, I think the ladders would still be a faster method, but then again, I have seen my installer take some serious time up a tree when he wasnt feeling 100% secure. The largest time component with one of these units is probably the setup on site. Certainly these units would be faster then scaffolding on a structure installation.

All in all I think the unit is justifiable here, and it may even turn out to be profitable. Now I want to test drive one in person before I commit.

Have a great day.