spider mites

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnguy26, Apr 5, 2006.

1. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

In years past I've gotten good control with bifenthrin with a follow treatment in 7 to 10 days. However, in the past year or so control has been difficult with Talstar. What are you all using to control these pesty pests?

2. broske

broske LawnSite Member

horticultural oil works well and it is less harmful. talstar will kill pretty much everything including beneficial bugs so the oil is my chioce and it works well.

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a mixture of TALSTAR and HEXOGON works GREAT! just mix with a little non-ionic surfactant. i rotate this mixture, ORTHEEN, and MALATHION thru out the season and have great control. i use the oil and insect soap on a few properties, but those are on fruit trees, the draw back is you need to continue to treat on a 2 week interval (part of the season anyway) and it doesn't do much for japaniees beetals. but if they want to pay for the service, then sock-it-to-them.

4. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I've been using hort. oil with talstar...still finding alot of activity after two treatments.

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I use Horticultural oil in the spring and Talstar in the summer, I've had good luck with this combo. The miticides work really well but the ppe requirments and the re-entry times are terrible. Back in the late '80s and early '90s we would use good old fashioned organo-phosphates (diazinon, dursban, malithion) they actually worked pretty well. Malithion is the only one left.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Floramite, or there is some new stuff from Bayer called Avid. Supposed to kill the eggs too.

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I've used Avid, it works great but the re-entry time and PPE were a killer, I haven't used it for a while maybe they've changed.

8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Check out the floramite label. It is a reduced risk pesticide and works very well.