spider mites

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by mrkosar, Aug 3, 2006.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

wondering what the best solution to getting rid of spider mites naturally is? i've heard or nicotine sprays, getting them drunk, lime sprays, and a few others. little skeptical about some of these. any have any experience with naturally eliminating a present spider mite problem?

2. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to stay all organic, predator mite release is probably your best bet unless the damaging mite population is very high already, then releases may not do the job. Broad spectrum sprays (i.e. summer oil) may kill the good guys too so it's important to ID the mites before treating (a 20X hand lens and a good pest ID book will help). Info on predators availiable from Evergreen Growers @ www.evergreengrowers.com
    Timing and monitoring is everything with predator release but you don't need a license to treat this way. Control is usually slow, depending how many good guys you release. Once the predators build up, the problem should be under control and may stay that way unless something happens to kill off the good guys.

If you are licensed, and there is a high population of mites and damage, you may want to consider Floramite spray a selective mitidice that is gentle on the good guys and death to the bad dudes. An ovicide called Hexagon is great to mix with the Flormite as it will keep the bad mite eggs from hatching. Both are pretty expensive but are quick to control and provide long lasting control of damaging mites.
    Neal

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I've had great luck with Floramite for the bad infestations. I also like M-Pede soap or some Neem products aren't bad. Good old hort oil is still a great choice. Get good coverage and it works. Just watch the heat. A friend of mine ordered some lady bugs over the internet. First ones showed up mostly dead, so they sent her some new ones. That was last year and she seems to be having fewer mite problems. It was a bit of a pain, but seem to be working. Of course, now they are overwintering in her windows, so this spring was a bit creepy when they woke up and swarmed around the house for a few days... But some caulk should take of that.