1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Spike aerator OK to use during over seeding project

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 1966vette, May 14, 2010.

1. 1966vette

1966vette LawnSite Member

I’m in the week 7 of over seeding an acre with KBG project.
    The KBG is starting to come up but it is too thin in many areas and the weeds are starting to take hold. I want to apply more KBG seed tomorrow but I am also seeking improved soil to seed contact. I have a pull behind spike aerator with 100# of weight. I was thing about using it on the newly germinated seed beds that are too thin.

Here are my questions:
    1. Will the ZTR & spike aerator harm the newly germinated KBG?

2. What is the best way to add more seed to newly germinated lawn w/o harming the new seed plants?

3. A few areas have been taken over by crab grass & I was planning on tilling it & reseeding.

Does anyone have a better idea? I’m not too proud to take advice!

Thanks in advance for helping!
    Andy

2. jnt412

jnt412 LawnSite Member

This is my opinion...

1. Yes, the weight of the mower alone will harm the new grass..

2. Perhaps a push spreader with the hopper half full or less.

3. Personally, I don't use spike aerators. With a yard your size I would have used a tow-plug aerator on the ZTR Mower or maybe a slit seeder. Spikes don't open the hole wide enough and not too effective on hard soil.

3. 1966vette

1966vette LawnSite Member

I pulled a spike aerator w/ a ZTR to punch holes in the soil for the new seed w/o harming the new grass. This worked well on the dry soil. Check out this pic.

DSC06669.jpg

4. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

I fail to see what exactly a hole the size of a nail that will close up in a few days will accomplish.

Do it right with a core aerator.