1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Spikes for paver edging(snap edge) prices!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by l3en007, Apr 20, 2009.

1. l3en007

l3en007 LawnSite Member

WHY ARE THESE THINGS SO FRIGGEN EXPENSIVE! My supplier told me that alot of people have good things to say about the new "plastic" spikes/nails. They are 20 cents cheaper (70 cents a piece) then the metal stakes. Is it me or do these things seem unreasonably priced? I dont know, i just couldnt believe I payed $115.00 for a box of 150 spikes. Any thoughts or ideas to get these cheaper? thanks!

2. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

I've never tried the plastic spikes and don't think I ever will. As for the steel spikes, our supplier told us towards the end of last season that the prices were going to raise dramatically due to import tariffs and such. Apparently there are no US manufacturers of 10" or 12" spikes. I was paying in the neighborhood of $50-60 a box and this was going to raise up to the $100 plus range. My supplier had several skids of spikes in stock and he offered me all I wanted at the old price. This is one advantage of loyalty with your suppliers -every one else (homeowners, occasional contractor customers, etc.) were going to pay the "new" price for this product even though it was purchased at the previous lower cost. I took him up on it and had enough to finish last season, get me through this, and probably into next.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We tried plastic spikes and we hated them. Primarily because if you hit even a small rock....it stops, whereas a steel spike would more than likely burst through the wmall rock.

I hope it's not you paying for ANY spikes. That is a cost that the customer needs to pay for. Hey, folks, last I checked hardscape jobs were luxuries....not comodidies(sp).

We are paying around 70 to 80 cents for GALVANIZED spikes and we're NOT using COMMON spikes. I make this clear to the client that steel prices have increased sharply and that we're not jeopardizing the craftsmanship of their project over 40 bucks.

4. ROYBOBCAT

ROYBOBCAT LawnSite Member

I've always been advised to use steel spikes because of the rust slag that builds on them keeps them in the ground better. In fact we are replacing an old paver project now where the contractor used both kinds, and the galvis pulled right out where as the steel ones were a @%##%. to get out.

5. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Your right Roy.....galvies and plastic will pop up with the freeze and thaw cycle, while the steel gets a nice crusty rust build-up and stays put.
    I agree with DVS too.....tried plastic once, only once. What a bunch of junk!

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We have only ever used galvanized spikes. If the base is properly compacted, and if the correct aggregate is used.....galvanized spikes do NOT pull up easily, not easily at all.

7. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you DVS, proper compaction is where it all starts. I go back and forth using galvanized and steel spikes, and have never had a problem with either one. If your getting 90-95% PD, not only do galvanized (or steel) spikes not pull up easily, their just as hard getting in. The winters up here in MA are a bit more harsh than MD, not to mention the crazy freeze and thaw cycles we've had over the past several years. Every walkway (done by someone else) I've demoed and rebuilt over the past 3 to 4 years had major edging/spike issues, not to mention every other issue under the sun. It all starts with a proper base, and proper compaction. Plain and simple.

8. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Good grief!!! $115 a box? I haven't bought spikes since Jan. and they were $58 for a box of 150. I've got to call my supplier.
    Everything I've ever read or heard said to use regular steel spikes for the reasons described above. I wouldn't even try plastic.
    DVS is right, though, the customer pays for material. Nobody is going to notice when spikes are just part of the total.

9. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

We only use galvanized also and have never had a problem with them lifting. I agree compaction is the key. If the spike goes in easy - the base isn't compacted enough. My feelings are a plastic spike (at least any plastic or composite I've seen) wouldn't be able to penetrate a properly compacted base.

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

In my experience with steel spikes is the frost grabs them and lifts them up then your screwed with trying to get it down again. I just pulled a section up yesterday from a job we did 11 yrs ago the nails were about an inch wide! there was no way it was going back in the ground. The galvanized or plastic won't do this. If they do come up they will go down just as easy.