Spikes - Galvanized or Common?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Feb 17, 2010.

Paver Edge Restraint Spikes - Galavnized or Common

Poll closed Feb 17, 2011.
  1. Galvanized

6 vote(s)
  2. Common

15 vote(s)
  1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Seems to be some varying opinions on which type of spikes (for anchoring paver restraint) are better.

Cast your vote today!
  2. greatinmulchbeds

greatinmulchbeds LawnSite Member

common for sure, they need to rust and stick into the base better
  3. Rocha_Construction

Rocha_Construction LawnSite Member

Really? I though that if they rust, the could be a hazard for barefoot home owners.

Besides, if they rot too much, they might end up snapping. (although I am sure that would take more than years....)
  4. DVS Hardscaper

Ta each his own :)

But I'm gonna say this and I'm only gonna say this once:

This April will mark our 14th year as a full fledged paver installation company. Not our 3rd year workin in a patio here and there between mowing yard, not our 5th year - but our 14th year :)

Since day one. We have used galvanized spikes. And to this day - to my knowledge, there have not been any issues arrising from a galvanized spike not staying put in the ground. Infact, on jobs where we have had to make repairs - we have had trouble pulling the galvanized spikes out of the restraint!

I was at a paver seminar recently where for the 1st time the speaker advocated common spikes :( Could this be his attempt to offset an installer's costs due to his pricey pavers??

5. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Guess it depends on the region you live in, and the freeze/thaw cycle you have to deal with. I'm in New England and have seen galvees back-out. Personally, i use both. The jobs (not mine) where i have seen galvees back-out are always on a poorly compacted base. Congrats DVS on 14 years, i'm starting my 14th year as well, note sure of the exact date.
  6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Dvs, I bet you 100 bucks you will tell us again.
  7. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

I wont bet ya Zedo! He tells us once a week anyway.

I use galvanized myself and I'm a rootn' toottn' hardscapin' fool.
  8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I'm curious why you bother going to these things since you know so much?
  9. Moneypit

Moneypit LawnSite Member

I have $200 that says he tells us more about his wording in contracts first.
  10. DVS Hardscaper

Oh! Ok! Ta Hell with the important issues, like contracts, labor laws, contract law, you know - the mechanics to operating business. I'll get busy tomorrow and I'll jus stick to postin pictures of paver jobs, skid loaders, and trucks. Cause ya know - trucks in my state look way different than trucks in NY. The cool thing is you can then save the truck pictures and copy them into your contracts. This way your potential client will see that you truely are a pro. :weightlifter: