Spill Clean Up

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PR Fect, Mar 2, 2008.

1. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

We carry the 2.5 gallon jugs of herbicide when we go out to spray. We mix on site ether from water on site or the 5 gallon jugs of fresh water we carry on the truck also. The most we would have is maybe 2 or 3 jugs of herbicide on one truck. My question is this. What do you guys carry in case of a spill? We have little or no room on the truck and pull an open trailer. I would like to carry some absorbent material, but how much do we need? How do we keep it dry until needed? Whats the best to use? And how do you carry it? PR

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

contact uap or your local distributor they carry spill kits. Dont get inspected without one

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Amen!!!
    Also, you can pick up these rolls at a West Marine store. They absorb about 50X their size. There were designed for diesel spills. I have two of them about the side of a roll of paper towels.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Law in Michigan requires "spill kit". However the Dept of Ag lady said an improvised kit is OK. For years I carried a 2.5 gallon jug filled with cat litter or Oil Dri as absorbent. The jug was not quite full. I squeezed a roll of plastic trash bags into the top, and attached a string to help retrieve them. Screwed the cap on and marked it "Spill Kit". It fit behind the seat--but since it is waterproof--I usually just threw it on the back somewhere--sometimes tied down, even. I had gloves on the truck of course, and a little dustpan and whisk broom to clean up dry residue.

More recently I bought a dry product at Lesco called "Soak up". Two pounds jar is (in theory) capable of absorbing 55 gallons of liquid. Seldom used, but it is very absorbent--amazing. The only problem is that the directions say that if you add it to a very large volume of water, that the product becomes soluble and you can spray it on grass as ususal. In my experience the product became a gel and tended to plug the screens. I suggest spread it out in the warehouse on a big peice of plastic--let it dry--use it up with a spreader.

5. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

In Wisconsin we are not required to carry a spill kit for the volumes I'm talking about. To small potatoes for that. But the law does say we must be able to control, contain, and be responsible for the clean up of any spills we make. And that we are responsible for the safe cradle-to-the grave management of any hazardous waste we make. I did not know about the Lesco "soak up" sounds like what I'm looking for. I will check it out next time I'm at the (Deere) store. I do not believe we have a "West Marine" store in our area, but it sounds like the rolls may fit in my truck also. Do they have a brand name? I may be able to look them up on the net. PR

6. brookviewlawncare

brookviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

We were told this is all we need

sho.jpg

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You will always want a supply of activated charcoal with you,...whether it be for a pavement spill or anything else.

8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

We carry:

Oil Dry (Kitty Litter Works Also)
    A small broom and dustpan
    Disposable Coveralls
    Bleach (Activated Charcoal works also)
    5 Gallon Bucket
    A Marker to write the name of the pesticide the spill kit was used to clean up
    Respirator
    Emergency Contact info written on the side of the bucket (DDA and Denrec)

Most of this fits in the 5 gallon bucket, We assembled this ourselves for under $75, and it passed when we got inspected.

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Our nearest town's HAZMAT unit uses: NAPA brand oil dry. I'm sure they could get the same thing at AutoZone for half the price. Our tax money at work:laugh:

10. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

My trucks don't carry more than 1-2 quarts of pesticide "concentrate" at one time. The total dilution in the 500 gal. tanks is a different matter. We carry pre-packaged spill kits from Lab Safety Supply that contain any spills of 50 gal. or less. On the rare occasion that we would have a larger spill (none to date, knock-on-wood), I have a pallet in the warehouse ready with dozens of spill-pillows, act. charcoal, hazorb "snakes", kitty litter, shovels etc. This way, in case of an emergency I would simply fire up the fork lift and load it on a pickup and I'm gone in less than 5 minutes.