1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spilling gasoline/crummy gas tanks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tom-N-Texas, May 20, 2005.

1. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

I've been in this business since 1988 and I've always tried to be careful when handling/pouring gasoline. But is it just me, or is most equipment lacking basic common sense in their designs? ie....why are gas tank openings on blowers and trimmers so small? And why do gas containers all have those long, clumsy plastic nozzels? And why do they design gas tanks that tip over so easily?

If I were to design a piece of equipment it would have a gas tank opening big enough to put your hand in. Why not? Those little holes are just asking for spills!!!

And does everyone put the lid on their gas tanks in between refills? I mean really!!?? Why don't they design a tank that seals its contents inside as opposed to allowing for constant evaporation?
  2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I mean if your in a rush for get it, i just get gas everywhere, its hard to avoid.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I agree we spill a lot of gas every day on our equipment. I would like to see any new ideas on cans that are being used.
  4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I can relate to that. Did it today. 2.5 gal can almost empty....need to fill trimmer slowly....then it burps gas everywhere. AAARRGGGHHH! The necks on most gas cans are not at the right angle and who ever thought of those little tank openings on trimmers and blowers should have their you know whats boiled.
  5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I hear you about the two stroke nozzles. A little tip that I do. I have a 5 gallon container that I fill up at exactly 5 gallons at the gas pump. I take my stihl two stroke mix that mixes 50:1 ratio per 5 gallons so I just dump the whole thing in. I have another 2 gallon blitz container that has a unique nozzle (I transfer gas from the 5 gallon container to the blitz). You have to pull a cover back to get the gas flowing so you can have the container in position ready to go and pull back the nozzle and it starts flowing. I lose very little gas filling up the 2 strokes now. I will get some pics tomorrow of what the container is like. It is hard to describe.
  6. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Guys...NO SPILL gas can are the only way to go. They do not allow gas to leak. The 2.5 gallon size is perfect for mix. Check out www.nospill.com. We have 7 or 8 of them and I plan on picking up more at the show in Louisville this fall.
  7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

And i hate those new vent-less cans. Those things are soooo freakin slow! On my two-stoke stuff i have an older 5 gallon, the one with the vent on the back. I just close that vent and you really have to tip it pretty far to get any gas to come out, glad i kept that can around!
  8. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I think Gravely got it right. I just picked up my new 1548Hydro today, you can stick your whole arm into its tank.
  9. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

The no spill cans you have pictured are great. I HATE the no-spill Blitz cans, they spray in all directions and don't breathe worth sh**. I just got some new cans, forget which brand, i'll try to remember to take pics tomorrow. I trashed the Blitz cans, too many spills. I agree that equipment should have larger openings for refills.
  10. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Here is a couple photos of a funnel that fits one of those steel gas cans with the spring loaded lid. I can't say that I have tried them yet, but I plan to! I saw one the other day and I can't see how you could spill any gas with it.