Spindle Bearing Conversion Question ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XB 2002, Dec 4, 2007.

1. XB 2002

XB 2002 LawnSite Member
    Male, from St.Amant, LA

I am in the process of converting my Exmark non- lubed spindles to lubricated. My question is : I remove the inner seal shield / seal and drill / tap a grease fitting in between. Do I have to do anything to the outer Shield / seal that faces the ground like drill a hole or something so that new grease can displace the old or is the fact that I will have the void area full and the grease packed into the inner side of the two bearings good enough ? Appreciate any advice.
    XB 2002:usflag:
  2. pennyan

pennyan LawnSite Member
    from west NJ

Don't remove any shields,drill & tap a fitting
    between the to bearings and pump it until the grease
    comes out the top or bottom, then every week.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess that assumes the seals don't work? Or does the grease just get past them?
  4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

If you are using OEM bearings, you should be getting 3,000 plus hours out of them. Replacing with some after market bearings, you should only remove the inner seal....But if you over grease, it will force the outer seal off, which is why alot of manufactures have gone to the sealed, no grease set up.
    With the outer seal out of place, when the bearing heats up the grease will liquefy and run out, when it then cools off after you are done cutting, the spindle will suck air in that has moisture. Moisture will shorten the life span of your bearings, even if you grease daily.
    Even if you use top of the line bearings, you will not get the same results as with the OEM sealed spindles.
    Now with the Lesco walk behind spindle, they have a hole in the spindle on the opposite side of the grease fitting that when the spindle is "full", the grease will come out the other side. Now these bearings are the roller type, like you find in your car......But I have found over the years that it will be the top bearing that fails on these spindles most of the time.
    IMHO, I think in the long run, you are better leaving well enough alone...