Spindle Bearing Conversion Question ???

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by XB 2002, Dec 5, 2007.

1. XB 2002

XB 2002 LawnSite Member
    Male, from St.Amant, LA

I am in the process of converting my Exmark non- lubed spindles to lubricated. My question is : I remove the inner seal shield / seal and drill / tap a grease fitting in between. Do I have to do anything to the outer Shield / seal that faces the ground like drill a hole or something so that new grease can displace the old or is the fact that I will have the void area full and the grease packed into the inner side of the two bearings good enough ? Appreciate any advice.
    Thanks,
    XB 2002

2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

From experience, You're wasting your time. Leave them alone. They are better sealed. You should get 1500 to 2000 hrs out of them.

3. XB 2002

XB 2002 LawnSite Member
    Male, from St.Amant, LA

From experience, I got 144 Hours out of the factory ones ! Thanks for your opinion though.
    XB 2002

4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what warranties are for. I'd talk to my dealer.

5. XB 2002

XB 2002 LawnSite Member
    Male, from St.Amant, LA

Homeowner machine, out of warranty. I know people have different opinions about this and I appreciate yours, But there is alot of people who have had trouble with the sealed bearings. I don't believe it is bearing , but the empty void between the two that allows condensation to form and ruin the bearing.
    Thanks,
    XB 2002

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

XB 2002,

What machine do you have? What people have had trouble w/ which sealed bearing? Myself and others may be better able to help if we have more information.

KC

7. XB 2002

XB 2002 LawnSite Member
    Male, from St.Amant, LA

KC
    I have a 2003 Lazer Z W/ 60" Ultracut Deck (almost 200 hrs Homeowner only ). Do a search on these forums and you will read that the sealed / grease-able bearing subject is very polarizing. I like my machine and am not trying to insult Exmark, I just have read and heard to many stories about non grease-able bearings and then when mine went out it was kinda the icing on the cake. I don't think that I can hurt anything by making them grease-able. Thanks for your concern
    XB 2002

8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Do you wash your machine alot? Do you pressure wash it? Do you wash it right after you get done mowing when the bearings/spindles are HOT?

The last one is the main thing to think about. From what I am told they can draw in water as they cool down. So if you are washing it alot...do it when the spindles are cold.

Honestly you are better off using a leaf blower or compressed air to blow the debri out of the mower...

I had a homeowner with the same problem on a Bobcat. The machine was cleaner than new but the bearings were making all kinds of noise. My commercial guys that NEVER wash their machines havent had any problems on any of the bobcats I have sold in the past 5 years with sealed bearings.