spindle bearing cross reference

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BZB_Helpers, Dec 2, 2006.

1. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

I have an 03/04 eXmark viking with those sealed spindle bearings. I've tried to cross reference these bearings to other brands to get a price range but have'nt come up with much. The bearings in there now are Fafnir RA100RR7 E8728.

Does anyone know what where to get these bearings or what numbers they cross reference to?

Do these bearings come on anyother eXmark mower? based on my searching, it looks like these bearings come on a lazer also?

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

My NAPA store has a huge selection of bearings. I get 95% right there. Look in your yellow pages under bearings to find a bearing house for the final 5%

3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

They also have them on Hustlers. JThomas has them.

4. BZB_Helpers

HenryB: I looked in the j-thomas book and my bearings look like the OEM# 103-2477 (j-thomas#EX-477)

How well do the Napa or the J-Thomas bearings hold up?
    Do you guys install a grease fitting in the housing when you replace the bearings?

5. HenryB

They are sealed bearings so on the exmark no. The Hustler has grease fittings even though the bearings are sealed go figure.

6. BZB_Helpers

I was going to remove the inner seal on both bearings and drill/tap the housing for a fitting like the aftermarket companies do.

7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

NAPA or J-Thomas or any other retailers don't manufacture the bearings. Don't worry they will be as good or better than OEM.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have concluded there is more to the bearing story than meets the eye. I have an Exmark Viking, 2 spindle mower (9 seasons old). The original bearings were greasable. They lasted more than 3 seasons. Since that time, I have made several replacements.

I happen to have the bearing box right next to my PC because I have done some searching for a new supply. The number on the box: 45-033 6305-2RS China

I think the only number that matters is the 6305-2RS.

To backtrack, the first replacements lasted more than one season, operating as sealed bearings. Even though the spindle came with grease fittings, I was told the bearings were sealed, do not grease. These bearings came from the Exmark dealer.

I think I went through a couple of sets. Then I ordered from the aftermarket supplier, and now I am only able to get about 200-300 service hours before failure. These boxes (mentioned above) of bearings have been supplied to me by a third party supplier of aftermarket products. I think they are not good quality.

I had to make a replacement with only about two weeks left in the season, and my "inventory" is gone. Therefore, I am in search of a new supply, and do not intend to order more from the last supplier.

One other point of interest. Thinking that I would solve the problem by removing the inner seals and greasing the bearings, I tried this approach earlier this season. Greasing/no greasing --- no difference in longevity. This is what leads me to believe this manufacturer is making bearings of poor quality. From the lack of brand on the box, I have little clue about the product. The "China" designation undoubtedly means they were manufactured in China.

Do you think my local NAPA store will identify the 6305-2RS code? If not, then where else to look?

I did some internet search and found a company in Texas that had a very extensive list. I sent them an e-mail inquiry, but had no response. I suppose my interest in a few bearings was insufficient to generate a response.

9. HenryB

Why not take the bearings and match up with a set of Timbren bearings and grease them. Same inner and outer diameter and you are set.:)

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic