spindle bearings

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by stp4345, Apr 7, 2004.

1. stp4345

stp4345 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Has anyone had problems with spindle bearings? My mower is 2yrs old and has 350 hrs on it, and I have to replace ideler pulley and 2 other pulleys once and now spindle bearings, I grease them like I'm supposed to. I dont think I should be having this kind of problems I love my Hustler Super Z 60" but this is getting on my nerves. And the worst thing is our local dealer never has anything in stock. I'm considering finding another dealer to deal with. Any input on anything would greatly be appreciated.

stp4345

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I had 2 spindle bearings go last fall with less than 500 hours on the Super Z.

The bearings on your Super Z are "not greaseable". They use sealed bearings and the fittings on the housings are just to plug the holes.

We would be better off if we could grease the spindles.

Gene

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a set on one spindle assy. get loose after about 1200 hours on my 37WB. Buy them at bearing supply warehouse for about half of dealer price. They are the same bearing in the front caster wheel pivots.

4. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

You could remove the dust covers on the inside of the bearing and then you would be able to grease them. And they are an inexpensive bearing I believe it a RA100RR Fafnir which several manufactures use this bearing in there spindles. Like specialtylc said you can get them at a bearing supply a lot cheaper. I have found them from $6.00 to $20.00 so just check the prices and pick up a couple of spares.

5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

those and deck idlers, plus the HYDO ider...have worn out on my Hustler Z...these items might be cost cutting weak links in the machine...my spindle bearings were replaced at 260 hours...I called my friend hoss65 on the way to the now defunt Hustler dealer in Memphis Tn...we both wondered why can't you grease these?