Spindle contamination question

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Runner, May 14, 2002.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Today was NOT one of my best days, in any way, shape or form. I put my machine through some things that I really shouldn't have. While mowing, everything was going great on a large yard with deep grass (new mow), and when I was approaching the far back at 8-9 mph, it happened. Suddenly, there was a sploosh, and I found myself literally cutting in standing water. There was a heavy mist coming out of the chute, and I could hear the blades planing on the surface of the water. The front casters were splashing water. It all happened so fast, there was nothing I could do. I kept the mower moving, and got out of it. My question is, is what should I do about the spindles? Now, it gets worse. As I was about done with the yard, I hit another soft spot. Not water this time, just mucky mud. I know I sucked some up into the blades, so the spindles HAD to have been exposed to this. Well, we got another mower, hooked the chain to it, and got it out of this mud-bog. Great, right? Well, then I went back up to the front yard to re-cut it and clean it up. Well, guess what? Yep! A little too close to the dich I got, and it sucked me right in like a black hole. As a matter of fact, that was the color of this murck. Well, it sank so fast, that by the time I could shut the blades down, they were already spinning in the stuff. Now, I not at all concerned about the blades, it's the SPINDLES that I'm concerned with. I realize these are a sealed unit, but just how waterproof are these units, especially with mud combined. What should I do at this point. Just hope for the best, and ride it out, and wonder how much longer (or shorter than normal lifespan) they are going to last? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    P.S. This is NOT the type of use I'm accustomed to putting my equipment through. :rolleyes:

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Runner,

I surely HOPE that this isn't a problem for our spindles, as this is a common weekly occurrance for me! :eek:

I believe that you'll be just fine. Cant get much wetter than mowing in a downpour, right? But I to have been swimming with the deck. All but stalls out the mower, as water REALLY drags the power down.

As cheap (free for a while) as these spindle housings are, I'll worry about mine when/if they start getting loose.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Runner,

No worries. Is it good for the spindles, no. Is it going to hurt them, probably not. The concern you would have is not water or mud in the spindles but the heavy load that was placed on the blade tips. Treat hitting water like you would hitting concrete, steel or other large heavy nasty objects. Although the water and mud were liquid or somewhat liquid the weight, load and stress put on the blades is significant (enough to stall the engine). The only thing you would have done is bend the blades. Check the blades very closely and when in doubt throw'm out. Look at all of your blade bolts for signs of "stretching" or other forms of fatigue. Replace them as needed and enjoy the fun of cutting the grass in the spring.

One thing I don't understand. Our literature said we used a floating deck. Snorkel and goggles sold separately.

Thanks

Terry

4. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Terry, your too funny. Maybe you should sell them with the mower in some areas. With as much rain as most places has got we need them.

Scot