Spindle Grease: How often?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Glenn J, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

As a homeowner who mows maybe one or twice a week, how often should I be greasing the blade spindles?
  2. toddnks

toddnks LawnSite Member

I have a 30+ year old tractor and deck that I greese every other mowing session. My spindles take 4 pumps.
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Not a lot. Most equipment dealers will tell you that people routinely over-grease their blade spindles, and they mean commercial mowing companies. If you are using a commercial walkbehind once or twice a week, you may only want to grease the blade spindles once a year. Check your owner's manual, and ask your dealer for advice.
  4. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Very interesting, thanks guys. I just put new spindles on the mower and I've greased them twice. ;)

I don't have an owners manual; my machine is older and I bought it used.
  5. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

My Scag manual says every 40 hours/weekly. As a homeowner, that's more hours than I put on in an entire season. So, I just hit them every 3 months or so when I sharpen my blades. By my calculations that comes out close to every 10 hours.

What brand walk behind do you have? If it is a Scag you can download the manual for free from the Scag website.
  6. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

My Dixie Chopper advises greasing the spindles every 100 hours or annually, whichever comes first.
  7. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

It's an older Bunton...I'd say from the mid 1980's.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would say about every 20 hours, use just a LITTLE bit.
  9. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

I emailed Toro about this exact question. Looking at the comments here it depends on the model.

The advice they gave me: Every 25 hours 4-5 greasepumps a spindle. And definitely DO NOT fill the entire spindlehousing with grease!