1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spindle Grease

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, May 19, 2005.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

When I grease most of the parts on my mower you can see the grease come out the sides so you know it is receiving grease. But when I grease the spindles the pumping motion is very easy and it seems like it still wants grease. Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Is this normal? I usually pump it about 7 times for each spindle before I stop, but it still seems like it wants more.
  2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

on my dixie I pump it until I feel a little resistance usually about 12 pumps. The spindles are going on 10 years

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

On my Pro-master 200, 15 times a charm!

4. Bo Jack

Bo Jack LawnSite Member
    from midwest

On my commercial snapper it says 3 pumps every 100 hrs
  5. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Oh shoot, we are supposed to grease those things? :)
  6. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, I better put some more grease on then, I guess I just don't understand where all the grease goes since I pump so much in, but then when I change the blades the spindle only has a very thin layer of grease on it, which is what I expect, but where does all the pumps of grease go?
  7. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Get greaseless spindles! and forget about it
  8. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

My SCAGS have releif valve that lets you know they are filled.
  9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

you should technically grease the fitting so much that grease comes out cause your breaking the seal but since your greasing your ahead of the rest.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Take your top off your deck and keep a good eye under the pulleys. Grease it slowly and LISTEN. Sometimes you will hear a faint "click" sound of the grease. You know you're about full, then. Sometimes, the spindles take up alot of grease. For some reason (I don't know why), the center spindle takes up a bit more than the others.