Spindle Grease

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fresh Cut, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Fresh Cut

Fresh Cut LawnSite Member

Anybody know why a spindle might quit accepting grease. It's on a toro T-Bar hydro. mower only has 140 hrs. I grease spindles every 8 hrs as the manual says 5-7 pumps each spindle. Discharge side won't let grease in, the little bit that does go in is under a lot of pressure, if you push the little valve on top, grease squirts out.

2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

fitting is probably clogged, take it off and clean it out or replace it.

3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

time for a new grease zerk(fitting) cheap fix

4. Fresh Cut

Grease fitting is fine. I took it off today and grease runs thru it no problem. Put it back on, same problem. Any other suggestions? Thanks. :cry:

5. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

take off the spindle and clean out the shaft that it runs through.

I'm not sure about how the toro's are set up but it seems like it wouldn't be too hard given most mowers have similiar spindle systems.

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

JK, Check the spindle since the fitting is not clogged check around the bearings. Does the spindle spin freely? You may have a bad bearing if the spindle does not move much, check with the cutter deck belts off. I have a toro too and had the same thing happen to me, turned out the bearings failed. Good luck.

7. Fresh Cut

Thanks, I'll check it out this weekend. I hope it's nothing too bad. :waving: