Spindle grease

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bink, Nov 24, 2000.

1. Bink

Bink LawnSite Member

What spindle grease does everyone use? Brand, weight?
    It is time for me to restock and thought I would get
    some feedback from you guys.
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Shaeffers moly supreme 238,semi-synthetic.This stuff is great,doent wash off though,will not mix with water.It is not cheap at $2.50-3 a tube.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

CRC Sta Plex Extreme Pressure grease. I've had to replace 2 wheel bearings and 1 spindle bearing in 7 years.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I use a high temperature Mobil lithium grease. I've replaced 1 spindle bearing in the past 16 seasons and that one had 3,000 hours on it and was just a bit loose, the other 2 are still good.
  5. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

Penzoil Adhezolith. My regular supplier said that it had been pulled off the market, but the Penzoil distributor still had some $21.00CAN for 10 tubes. It's the only grease that I have found that stays in my spindles (Gravely walk behind).

6. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I used Amsoil moly but have switched to cheaper Quaker State. I did't really see any benefit from the Amsoil.
  8. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

Grease: everybody think about it,years ago machinery lasted many years using what ever grease was avalible
    at the time,and equip.etc seem to last many years, today everybody has there own opion on what to use etc!!!I seem to think if we went back to the basic we would be farther ahead???
  9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I buy a generic grease at Sams club, 24 tubes for $14 its a lithium base EP(?) NGLI#2(? from memory it may be different)the numbers on the tubes are the same as the $3 a tube name brand stuff.
  10. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Anybody else try Marine grease. I've used it for years and never lost a spindle. I use it because it doesn't leak out as fast, stays put longer. I figure if it works under water on boat trailers without washing out then it ought to work fine in my mowers.