Spindle housing question

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by nuklhd, Apr 25, 2002.

1. nuklhd

nuklhd LawnSite Member

I plan on using this only for my own lawn about 1/3rd of an acre. I have looked at both Exmark and Scag and I like the fact that Scag has cast iron spindle housing but, I like the Exmark mower better and understand from all of the users on this forum that they cut better not to mention I can pick one up for $500 cheaper than the Scag. Both are 48" fixed decks. I currently have a troy built 33" and have had several problems with the spindle housing and bearings (stamped aluminum).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance,
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello fellow Nklhd,

The aluminum does have some benefits. First we turn our blades faster than some of our competitors who use cast iron housings. Speed creates heat and the aluminum dissipates heat much faster. This helps to ensure the grease is not damaged and can continue to lubricate properly.

Second the aluminum is more forgiving when you hit and immovable object. We hear of very few broken housings each year. In my opinion when housing does break that was the best thing that could have happened. If you hit something hard enough to break an $80 aluminum housing chances are you would have damaged an $800 deck shell if the housing did not break first. So if do the math, cost of the part plus 1/2 hour to 1 hour to replace a housing vs. the cost of the deck shell plus several hours to straighten or replace which would you rather have? Please also consider there is a great deal of difference between a cast aluminum Exmark commercial cutter housing and that of a 33" consumer grade mower. That's the basics of aluminum vs. cast iron.

Another way to look at it is like this. The next time you buying a car are you going to buy the one the gives you the best performance, whether that is gas mileage, speed, handling etc. or are you going to buy the one with aluminum wheels instead of steel. Don't make you decision based on one component, make it on which machine will be the best machine for you.

Chances are we'll both be in a nursing home for Nklhd's long before you'll ever break an aluminum housing.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Wow guys! You got a reason 4 everything! I love learnin' this new stuff!
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

now this is a good example of heavier ,not necessarily being better. one of the competitive mowers keeps touting how heavy theirs is made .seems to me that exstra wt. just takes more of the motors power to pull. power that could be used tuning the blades.if my lazer can stand what i do to a mower ,its tough enough.