1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spindle life expectancy

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by jcltyson, Apr 4, 2006.

1. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

What is the average life expectancy under 'normal conditions' of the blade spindle assembly in the XR-7 deck?
    Thank you
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have seen them go over 2 thousand hours, and I have also seen them go at 200 hours, depends on the conditions you are mowing in, particularly items that someone may hit will cause a short life.
    If you ever have to replace the bearings, it is a very quick job, no special tools needed either.
    Plus.... you have a 3 year warranty on the spindle bearings.

3. amar

amar LawnSite Member

Ive never had a spindle last over 1000 hrs on gresable spindles.

Exmark 1300+ hours all original spindles (sealed bearings)
    Hustler Super Z 1400+ hours it has had four spindles (gresable Bearing)
    Hustler Super Z 375 hours and all original spindles

Yes we grease often and balance blades.
    I'm not a fan of greaseable spindles. To much wasted time and $.
  4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The bearings in our spindle are not greasable, they are sealed bearings.
    When you grease our spindle you are greasing the housing and shaft, and we only recommend you do this every 500 hours, or once a season if you don't put 500 hours on your units in a season.
    We have used this spindle design for over 30 years, it works great.
    If you are greasing them more than every 500 hours, you are over greasing them and possibly blowing out the seals in the bearings.
  5. yrrej

yrrej LawnSite Member

I have had a minnie Z since 2003. I have put only 84 hours on it. Last season i noticed a little deck noise but shuned it off since was so new. Well today I checked again and found both outside spindles rough when turned. Called dealer and he advised bearings were still under warranty,but labor was not.We settled on me providing the labor to change the bearings and he would supply the parts.The spindles and bearings are a snap to remove ,all are just a slip fit.Was a little taken back when I saw orriginal bearings were made in CHINA.Has anyone else had bearings to go this soon?
    thanks yrrej
  6. Downunder Bob

Downunder Bob LawnSite Member

I changed mine at around 50hrs for the same reason (rumbling noise). This is on a 04 52 mini-z. I replaced them with a set of high speed bearings. Like you, I too was surprised with the Chinese bearings.
  7. yrrej

yrrej LawnSite Member

You replaced with high speed bearings,do you still have the bearing number.I got the replacements from the dealer and are the same china bearings.I also noticed the bearing are just a slip fit.They go in without any resistance.Is this normal?
  8. Downunder Bob

Downunder Bob LawnSite Member

High speed bearings have a little tolerance in them. They can handle heat better. I don't think that’s the problem though. I just didn't like the seals on the Chinese bearings.
    If a seal fails, it's not long after your bearing starts to rumble and eventually it will fail.
    I noticed all the top bearings were in a much better condition than the bottom, keeping in mind the bottom ones are closest to the crud.
    My bearings were a slip on fit too. I used a little Locktite to make sure they wouldn’t spin on the shaft or the housing.

9. yrrej

yrrej LawnSite Member

Appreciate the info.waiting on two more bearings from dealer and will put back together. thanks again.