Spindle noise!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sauls1686, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Iv noticed that when my Scag warms up there is a "whooing" noise that comes from the deck. Its defidently in the deck cause it only happens when the blades are engaged and have been so for a while. Mb 5-10 mins.

Iv only put ten hours on it, and it was supposed to only have 10 on it when i bought it. The dealer greased everything when I bought it and yesterday I greased it again in hopes that the noise would go away. No such luck. Is it normal? I would like to think that since its a Scag and since its almost new, it is normal. For some reason Im not so sure.

I would ask the dealer but they are terrible. I probably wont buy from them again. The day I bought it, they had no paperwork with it. I bought it Sept 11, and just TONIGHT (after promising numerous times to drop it off) they deliver a PHOTO COPIED owners manual, with a VY OLD, SINGLE CYLINDER, Kawasaki manual.

Also the manual for the Scag does not even have my engine listed on it, only a 14 adn somthing else Kawi. It does have a 15 and some other Kohlers.

They did have a warranty card filled out with the paperwork. (but on the place where it says "Did u recieve an owners manual?"
    Its blank, I wonder why.........

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Sorry had 2 vent.

(o and today a customer was complaing about the cutting heighth--all 4 spacers down, i think thats around 3"?, and i had a zillion sticks to pick up, and i hit a pipe and took the coner of my discharge side blade)

:angry:

2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, you'll always have customers complain about height.
    Some want it cut short, so it "stays cut" longer. Is it a Scag walkbehind, what size? I have a 48" Walk behind. I have the back of the deck at full height, where the mowing deck meets the motor "deck." In the front, I vary from 3 spacers down, one up, to all four spacers down. Sometimes, very rarely, I'll run the front spacers 2 down, 2 up. Run the deck high, less chance of hitting the deck on an unseen obstacle, throwing you over the handlebars at full speed. Or worse, catching a handlebar in the groan(groin).:cry:
    You said it was supposed to have only 10 hours on it. Got no hourmeter? Get one.

Back to the woooing noise. Hows the belt tension? I check mine constantly, when I change blades. Learn where your machine's belts are happy, and you won't break as many of them. I've been running the same belts all year. last year I went through a few of them. Take the cover off, turn on the blades, look, listen, SHUT OFF BLADES, change adjustment, turn on blades, look listen, etc.....When you figure out the tightness you want, it'll be a simple adjustment, every now and then, when changing blades.
    Crawdad

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

The spindle noise don't sound good. Are you sure the dealer did grease the spindles? The spindle noise don't sound good. Mabey it is a belt, did you remove the covers to see if thats what is making the noise?

On the manual you should be able to go the web site for the manufacturer and download a copy of the exact mower that you have. I have done this with my exmarks.

I would also check into contacting someone from the mower manufacturer and let them know this dealer is not worth a @&*^%$#@!!!.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

This is why I won't buy a scag. Besides the name.

:D

5. DoubleCutter

DoubleCutter LawnSite Member

An idler pulley will make the exact sound an spindle does....kinda like a slight friction sound...they all do it. If thats what it is, it aint no big deal. If its a spindle, it was defective from the start. My guess is its just an idler pulley and not a spindle

I love it when people bash another persons choice of equip. etc, but dont state what they think is the best. Especially when this person just went out and bought a machine..someones already knocking his choice. Saying basically Scag "sucks" I think Exmarks blow, they sucked 10 years ago, and still suck now. But Id try to help the person out first, then knock on em when everythings all set.
    One time I was broken down in my fathers brand new truck. (8 yrs ago?) And It was in a parking lot (ended up bad ground wire from plow install company) Guy walks buy and said"thats what ya get for buying a Chevy" and walks away. WTF is that...Dont bother offering me a hand, or a phone....just say some snide remark and leave. Typical of people today..What happened to helping the least of my "bretheran". Man some people
    Bring it back to dealer and have them check it out.
    Hope I helped
    Bill

6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

What to make sure I understand when the noise starts. After the machine has warmed up and after the blades have been engaged for approx. 10 minutes?

Does it make this noise only when cutting, or will it also do it setting still with blades going?

Sounds like the belt, although I'm surprised it takes that long to start slipping. You didn't give details about which deck you have, so don't know how many belts we're dealing with here. But have you adjusted the belt(s) yet? If the dealer told you it had 10 hours on it, that really means you don't know cause you're depending on his word. But new belts will take some adjusting for a while, like every 3 to 5 hours of mowing up to anywhere from 12 to 20 hours. Deck/blade belts should have about 1/2" of play in them when 10 lbs of pressure is applied. Don't get carried away thinking you can adjust it out real tight one time and be done with it, you can cause belt/spindle damage if you don't leave some play.
    Also check the tranny belt if it's a belt drive machine.

Before you do all that though, loosen the belt(s) completely, so it ready to or does fall off the spindle pulleys. With no belt pressure at all on the pulleys, take firm grip on pulley and see if you can push/pull or rock it back and forth any at all. Enough where there's a clunking movement. Also check to see if they turn freely, they won't spin like a top, but there should be no resistance in rotation. If they turn and they don't clunk, your noise is most likely not a spindle.
    Check belt condition while your there, for slick spots, cracks, breaks in shielding. Also look on outside edge or top of belt, look for Scag name or some indication of brand. Should most definitely be a Scag brand belt.

Don't think this is any of your problem, but check the under side of the deck and make sure you don't have grass cutting build up.

One other question, once this noise starts, is it steady and continuous or is it an off and on kind of thing, sometimes there, sometimes not?

Well, hope some portion of this helps. Post again to let us know.

7. RUSTICGOAT:

It's continuous. The dealer did say that in 20-25 hours the belts would need adjusted. Im hoping thats what it is but I will do the spindle check.

Yesterday I was mowing and had to stop to pick up sticks so I let the machine idle. When I reenagaged the blades it wasnt doing it but after mowing a few minutes, it started back up.

Now im thinking it probably is a belt cause we have noticed that pulleys/deck cover get vy vy hot. We thought it was normal cause of the high blade speed????

SAULS

8. P.S. No grass builldup under my deck!!!!! NV.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

grease them and forget about the spindles. if they break you fix them. simple as that. after you learn about the blade belts an proper tension, things will go better for you. and as I have said before...the sooner you get over jumping the cut height up and down at every stop, the happier you are gonna be. especially since you posted about what a painintheass changing cut height was after you had the machine only one day.

GEO

10. geogunn,

I dont change the height on every stop. Iv only changed it once since I'v had it.

Its just with my small customer base i cant afford to "tell customers". Next spring when i add 10-15 accounts, get insured, etc, my rates will go up, and my cutting height WILL NOT CHANGE.

The lawn that shes fussing about only takes 30 mins total with the 21" anyways. I just din spend that many $$ to use my $325 dollar 21"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!