Spindle pr0n

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Apr 18, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Had my Bad Boy rep bring me by a spindle that I could set side-by-side with the Scag spindle I have on my sales desk so people can get an up-close look at a component they couldn't otherwise put their hands on. Here's a couple of shots for ya'll to drool over:

[​IMG]

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I think toro blows both of them away

3. tb8100

from TX

pix?

Toro's spindles are good, but I don't know that they necessarily have any advantage per se. The Velocity Plus deck is 1/2" around the spindle area, and the mounting surface on the spindle is 1/2" thick cast iron, spread over about 6". The Bad Boy spindle is about the same as far as the mounting surface in diameter and thickness, but the housing around the spindle shaft is significantly larger than the Scag. It's mounted to 1/4" thick steel. The Toro claims its advantage is in the 9 3/8" spread of the diameter of the spindle mounting surface, but it's mounted to 7 gauge steel, much thinner than the Scag and even the Bad Boy. I like that the Scag spindle has tapered roller bearings, versus Bad Boy's ball bearings (although they're huge ball bearings). Only the 500 series Toros have the tapered roller bearing spindles.

I'm curious how big the effective spindle shaft is, how big the housing is, and the thickness of the mounting surface. If it's only like 3/8", that would be the reason they spread it out so far- to distribute shock from impacts better and prevent crackage.

4. tb8100

from TX

By the way, the Scag spindle has a blowout valve to virtually prevent overgreasing and the potential for seal blowout. Does the Toro offer anything like that?