1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

spindle price...

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rcslawncare, Sep 27, 2010.

1. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

What's a spindle for a super Z 60" going for? Had someone tell me a price and I almost died. Like $48 bucks??

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I cant answer that question... a couple reasons why... we have used a couple different spindles over the years, up until last fall the only difference between them was the shaft its self.
    Last fall we started using a newer version of the old spindle, larger bearings, longer housing, press fit instead of slip fit etc.. etc..
    I also dont have parts pricing to post.

You can look up whats on your mower here > http://www.southlandengine.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx

I know they are not $ 48.00

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Can you simply replace the bearings?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

On the spindles we used up until last fall in the Super Z and Hustler Z, yes, since then no, we have not released the bearing part #'s, we want to know when and how they fail, as we havent had any issues with them.

Pj

5. cgaengineer

Well as long as the bearing has a number you should be able to match it up...I am sure its not a Hustler specific bearing...a little digging around and I am sure you can find it.

I replaced the bearings on my Toro last season and though the mower was under warranty, I opted to just have the bearings given to me so I could replace them myself. No removal of the spindle was required, in fact it was easier with spindles on the mower.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. dschell

dschell LawnSite Member

I had the bearing in one of my Zs idler pulleys fail. I was surprised to learn that the bearing is not replaceable - the whole pulley has to be replaced - at a retail cost of $32.00. Seems like a waste of a good pulley to throw it all out when all it needs is a new bearing.

7. cgaengineer

Everything nowadays is disposable! Make it cheap and charge a high price for it, not much quality anymore.
    Posted via Mobile Device