1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spindle Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KTNC, Apr 24, 2007.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

On my 2001 Lazer 25/60, 250hrs, I was putting a new set of blades on the other day, when I noticed I couldn't get the blade on the trim side to torque down. Even while the blade was blocked with a piece of wood, the spindle would all turn not allowing the nut to torque. I ended up putting a wrench on the nut on top of the pulley to hold the spindle and that allowed the nut to tighten all the way. I know it says in the manual not to do this...

I'm thinking possibly the threads in the spindle are slightly damaged? Although the bolt easily tightens, right up until I try to torque it to 120 ft lbs. I ran the machine for about a half hour and there is no noise or vibration, and the bolt stayed tight. I ordered a new spindle and am thinking about getting the housing w/the bearings, but I would like to be sure if I really need this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Any concerns w/running like it is?
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Impact gun problem solved. Unless the spindle is raoring or wobbling then its fine.

BTW a 2001 with 250 hours? I assume you only use it on your own lawn? Our 99 lazer hp has 2,200 hours on it and we didnt even use it last year. Our new M48 Tank was new last year and it has right about 300 hours on it now.
  3. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

I don't understand how an impact gun would be any better..? It still will all turn, and it's not fixing the underlying problem.

Any other thoughts regarding what the problem is and the solution?
  4. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Impact wrenches were invented for tightening or loosening bolts on wheels and cranks. It will solve your problem for today.

As soon as you can, you should replace the blade bolts. And nuts.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Check the bolts. Roll them along the edge of your desk. The head should NOT wobble. They should roll smooth. Inspect the threads. They are fine thread, grade 8 bolts, the threads should look perfect. If not, you may have a problem. You can lubricate the threads with never-seize, just don't go crazy, and then adjust your torque setting. Seeing as you have ULTRA low hours on an older machine, lubricating them is a good idea. Mine are on and off a couple times a week, so they don't have time to corrode.

An impact is an EXCELLENT way to tighten blades. They tighten so fast the spindle doesn't have time to spin.

You may want to check your idlers (deck, mule, and pump drive). These have a tendency to seize up and not keep proper tension on your belts. This could also contribute to your blade tightening problem.

Let us know how you make out.
  6. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I will look at the bolts, by the way, I ordered new ones anyways.

MD - what nuts - the one on the pulley?

TLS - I will try the never seize w/ the new bolts...So as long as no vibration or noise you guys don't see any reason to change the spindle or bearings, right?
  7. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe your mower is different than mine. Mine is a spindle assembly bolted to the deck. A hole in the center of the spindle holds a blade bolt. A nut on top holds the blade bolt to the spindle.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

SCAG and perhaps just one or two others still use the through bolted spindle.

Most use a 3" long bolt into a solid spindle shaft. The upper nut just holds the pulley on.