Spindle Pulley Question!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nsrwholesale, Aug 15, 2011.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Now...Dont get me wrong....That SHINOLA is some decent stuff......
    But ...Moisture and water are normal working conditions in Fla., and therefore, with no way to grease, much less service the spindle bearings,If they fail during the warranty period, Its a warranty. Back in the day when I worked for an Exmark Dealer, the salesrep told us that the grease was the same stuff that NASA used on a project that was so secret, he was forbidden to tell us about it.......
    I dont know what it was...it sure sounded important.....Shinola ? .. Perhaps....

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

As long as it was a govenment sponsored endeavor, we know it had to be good and we surely know the price was right!!! It may indeed be "Good Stuff".

I'm more concerned by the lack of grease than I am by the quality, at least judging from the seals I have pulled when installing a new set of bearings in a greaseable spindle housing.

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Slapper,

As long as it was a govenment funded endeavor, we know it had to be the "Good Stuff" and we surely know the price was right!!!:clapping:

I'm more concerned by the lack of grease than I am by the quality, at least judging from the seals I have pulled when installing a new set of bearings in a greaseable spindle housing.

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm with you on that point...I've destroyed my share of spindles getting them apart.

There is a fine line between the "Good Stuff" and the "Right Stuff" .....Thats All I Can Tell You For Now........

5. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Many years ago, (like about 1979 or so) when I was wrenchin' on HS packaging equip., they had a recurring problem on a capper, anyways the mfg sent a bunch of suits around to look at the POS, one being a bearing rep., and he went on to explain in great detail ( like I gave a sheet) about how his bearings were the greatest thing since sliced bread, etc., etc.
    Hey, common sense should tell ya that the grease they use has to hold up better, given the life expectancy etc. See Slappers post, #8.( hey, did I just agree with P.S.???)
    At any rate,you can google the subject and read till yer eyes cross!!