Spindle Troubles

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Synergy Ground, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Synergy Ground

Synergy Ground LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

P.J.

My Super Z 60" has about 190 Hours as of today. I have (2), yes (2) spindles that have gone out. I contacted my dealer and they told me to bring it in. I asked about time of service and was told it would be fixed within 5-10 working days. I can't be without that mower for 5 days. Am I able to take my Hustler to any authorized dealer of my choice? If so, do all dealers have to replace the spindles, or can they pick and choose who they'll service since I did not purchase from them?? Also, Is this a common problem for Hustler?? (2) Spindles in less than 200 Hours seems odd. I purchased new and am mowing Centipede & Light St. Augustine Grasses. Nothing heavy or harsh that should cause such a problem IMO. Yes, They get greased at regular intervals.

Thanks Much,

TD

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hmmm.... weird...
    You can work with any dealer of your choice for warranty, but I would talk to them and let them know your expectations, many dealers will put their own customers ahead of a customers that bought elsewhere.
    That being said, I would talk to your dealer before going somewhere else and let them know your feelings on a 5 to 10 day wait, maybe they quoted you that time thinking your a residential customer?
    E-mail me your details, I will be in your area seeing dealers next week and I would like to look into this a bit further.

Pj

3. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

aren't they only supposed to be lubed once a year?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Once a year or every 500 hours, whichever comes first.

Pj

5. BAKERS

BAKERS LawnSite Member

The ligit failures we see in our dealership are from overgreasing........

6. Bingopin

Bingopin LawnSite Member

How does overgreasing the spindles cause them to fail?

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

If you grease them to much it will push out the seals in the bearings, causing them to lose the grease and run dry and fail.

Pj

8. user5953

user5953 LawnSite Member

what typically happens when a spindle fails? How will I know when or if it happens?

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Excessive noise from the spindle and or vibration, or possibly it could freeze up.

Pj