Spindle - what happened??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sundvl76, Aug 2, 2004.

1. sundvl76

sundvl76 LawnSite Member

I have a 5-year old Scag 61" Turf Tiger with just 177 hours on it, which I use for my home property. Yesterday, I noticed grease blowing out of one spindle, although I've been careful (I thought) to not overgrease them. After taking off the belt and spinning the blade by hand, the spindle bearings are obviously somewhat noisy, although the spindle didn't seem hotter than the other two, and didn't seem to have alot of play.

Questions: how could this spindle fail so early? Considering that it only sees about 1.5 hours of use a week, can I delay replacing the spindle if I keep grease in it? What is the "proper" amount of greasing to do in my circumstance?

TIA for any advice,
    Neal

2. BladesAway

BladesAway LawnSite Member
    from Ok

Not enough grease probably. I always grease mine till i see a little grease coming out if the spindle. I don't think you can over grease it oherwise it would have a sealed bearing. Grease it till you see the grease coming out then run it enough to get the grease warm if it still makes that noise then I would replace it.

3. BladesAway

from Ok

I think with your mower you would only have to replace the bearing in the spindle. Also make sure you use good grease that is designed for the heat that your bearing producing. I use mystic and have never had a problem. I have only replaced bearings on my mowers and that is because I buy used mowers. They usually run about 5 bucks each. It just sounds like the grease got hard in the bearing and is not doing its job. Try greasing it a little more often and you should be fine. you will need to grease it everytime you use it for awhile. then every three or four times you use it after that or after every time you was it or change the oil.

4. sundvl76

sundvl76 LawnSite Member

Thanks, BladesAway. I've been cautious about overgreasing, since the owner's manual tells me it only needs to be greased every 100 hours, and I know blowing the seals on these is easy to do. I didn't think you are supposed to be able to see grease coming out, since you have then blown the seal. It did turn more smoothly after adding some grease - don't know how long that will last. Bearings are available separately from the dealer ($67 for the kit - ouch! New spindle $180 - double ouch!), so I will probably try that route. I've been using the Exxon grease recommended by Scag.

5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Bearings don't have to be bought from a lawn mower dealer. Get the bearings out and take them to an auto parts store...NAPA or real parts store (not auto zone, etc). They can get numbers from the bearings and supply new ones.

Look in the yellow pages for bearings, and you prolly have a bearing supply house which can also sell you bearings.

6. sundvl76

sundvl76 LawnSite Member

Good idea, thanks. I found an aftermarket spindle on Ebay for under $60 (buy-it-now price), which I will probably buy and stick in, then rebuild the bad one for a spare.

7. BladesAway

from Ok

A common misconseption is that if you see grease that is a bad thing. It's not, the bearing is not a sealed bearing or ther would be no grease (zerk?). What people commonly see is a dust cap on the bearing.
    Would deffinitely take all bearings with you that need to be replaced. I found Allied Bearing and Smith distributing here in Tulsa carry Every kind of bearing I have needed in the past. usually about 3 to 5 bucks each. I had to replace some on a honda once, they wanted 17 per bearing. I took them to Allied and got them for 3 a piece.
    I have also pulled the dust covers off and cleaned the hard grease out repacked with new grease and installed without the dust cover. It ran like new. I forgot to mention that.