1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by exmark72, Nov 10, 2006.

1. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

right now im running gator baldes on my mower with the bagger. i was thinking about running doubles on the right side so that the leaves will go into the bagger easily. i was gonna run the gator and a high lift. but im afraid it will damage the spindle b/c it will have two blades on it and the belt for the blower. i have a lazer z 20hp 52" also will there be enough power?
  2. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

ne one come on guys
  3. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

what do you want people to tell you? Will it damage the spindle... not immediately, but it will cause more wear and tear on the spindle - and the belts, and the clutch, and the engine -

Will it be okay to use just for leaf season, probably.

I will say that your probably better off just using hilift blades only and ditch the gators. They really don't make that much difference.
  4. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Gators make a HUGE different for me when I'm doing leaves, but I guess different things work differently for all of us...

If I was you I would just run all gators and no doubles, leaves are already hard enough on our mowers..
  5. Rons Rightway Lawncare

My experience with the Gator blades is they do not have enough lift to pick up leaves that are wet or buried and tangled down in the grass. On a dry lawn with dry leaves on top of the grass, yes they seem to do better job of mulching the leaves, but elsewise I have found that switching back to plain hi lift blades do better FOR ME in the leaves.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

With a 3,000rpm blade rotation speed, I question the logic of doubles... While single blades already pass over every spot 100 times every second, if it were such a good idea likely the mfg's would be producing the mowers with doubles in the first place.
    But no, not even one such machine exists on the market.

Thou I seriously considered this solution myself sometime ago, too...
    I don't see it making a real difference, not really.

If the cut is the problem, switch from gators - hi-lifts or vice versa.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Only problem I have ever expereienced running doubles for leaf cleanups is front deck blowout. You are creating some much more air movement under the deck with doubles that you will begin to push the leaves away from the front of the deck (or up over it) instead of sucking them in.

Secondly, engaging and disengaging your pto is something important to take into consideration. With doubles, engage at 1/2 rpm and then slowly bring up to full. Disengage by slowly working your way down to minimum power.
  8. Rons Rightway Lawncare

I have never run doubles, but I think it would have to be hurtful to the mower over a period of time.

I have used some High lift blades I got from my dealer that had the back edge of the blade - the lifting part - nearly vertical. It was twice the amount of a normal hi lift blade. Just the extra drag from those blades would really bog the engine down and use so much more gas per hour and just put a hurting on the machine, I ended up taking the blades off and throwing them away.