Spindles and Stripping

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by cuttinfirefighter, Apr 24, 2003.

1. cuttinfirefighter

cuttinfirefighter LawnSite Member

Hi, I just purchased a 52" 23 horse surfer new this year, I love the machine but I have a few questions for you, I was told that the blade spindles are sealed on the surfter I have, but when I was cleaning my deck I notices grease gun fittings underneath on the spindle shaft, my question is are they sealed? if so why are there fittings there? My second question is how can a get a better stripe out of my surfer I have noticed that I am not getting a good stipe is there a kit? If so where can I get one? If not what can I do? Thanks.

Percy,

Grisby's Lawncare Services
    Cincinnati, Ohio

2. John Joensen

John Joensen LawnSite Member

Percy,

First, thank you for putting your trust in Great Dane products. You have asked good questions. The spindles do have sealed bearings. The grease fittings are to fill the cavity between the bearings with grease to prevent condensation from entering the “dead space” in the spindle. We have done extensive testing with this concept with great success. You cannot over grease the spindles, as there’s a release valve on the opposite side of the spindle. Regarding striping, our decks stripe very well when they are set-up properly. There must be a front-to-back pitch of ¼ -inch with the back of the cutter deck higher than the front. This will give you optimum discharge and airflow. FYI -We do not make a striping kit but I’ve heard of aftermarket ones available however, please check the deck pitch. This should make a BIG difference in the cut quality.

Thank You

JMJ

3. cuttinfirefighter

cuttinfirefighter LawnSite Member

thanks for your reply, approximately how often should i grease the dead space? also how can i get that 1/4" pitch from front to back, raising and lowering the deck keeps it level on all sides doesnt it? i understand what you are talking about (the front of the deck is 1/4" lower than the back) i just dont know how i am going to keep the back a lil higher.... thanks again

supersurfer_thumb3_big.jpg

4. John Joensen

John Joensen LawnSite Member

Percy,

You should grease the spindles every two weeks. Don’t worry about over greasing the spindles because you can’t. I would recommend you speak to a Great Dane dealer about the leveling process. This can be a confusing process if you haven’t done it before. Once the cutter deck is leveled, unless you hit something to through it off, you will not have to re-level it again.

Thanks

JMJ

5. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

for my surfer. I acn tell you it has made all the difference in the world on nice lawns, especially tall fescue cut at 3" and especially at 3 1/2". I have had to settle for cutting at 3" because any higher just leaves to much behind and any shorter I fell like is bad for the grass.

stripe1.jpg

6. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a pic when it is down.

stripe3.jpg

7. Bill Baltzer

Bill Baltzer Great Dane Representative
    from NC

UGA--Nice job on the stripe kit!! Looks good. Thanks for sharing with us and the lawnsite community.

Best Regards,
    Bill

8. FlatLander

FlatLander LawnSite Member
    from PA

i know you guys have the super surfer models, but heres some pictures of the stipe kit i made for my chariot jr. all parts from home depot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. FlatLander

from PA

10. FlatLander

from PA