Spindles dragging on trailer ramp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ShooterK2, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 6 1/2 x 16 landscape trailer with 4 ft. walls and gate. I bought my first ZTR yesterday ('06 Cub Cadet 48" Z-Wing) and love the mower so far, but it hangs up on the spindles at the top of the trailer ramp. I can back up to a curb and unload and it's fine (no rubbing), but I won't always be able to do this. Anyone else ever have this happen? Suggestions on a solution?

2. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

You might have to have an extension welded onto the gate,it worked for mine.Or if possible can the gate hinges be reversed,put underneath?

3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

check your hitch angle......you might be able to elevate it a bit. If not, lengthen your tailgate. You will damage the deck and cutters.

This problem is seen more so on stand on units because you can't just tilt them back like walk behinds. Usually on guys with tailgates that a too short.

4. ShooterK2

Yeah, I thought about extending the tailgate, but then the extension would stick up higher than the rest of the trailer walls when in the "up" position. I don't guess it will hurt anything though.

5. ShooterK2

Oh, and as for the hitch angle, I considered that, but it's already got the trailer tilted back slightly. I don't think I want to go any higher.

6. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe try backing it on the trailer. It may help.

7. carrier_joshua

carrier_joshua LawnSite Member

just throw a piece of 2x4 under the end of the ramp, untill you can get it extended.

8. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

Our mowers hit the hinges on the ramp, same size trailer. We've lived with it for 2 years now, but this year I think im going to extend the gate 10-12". Im just afraid it will be too heavy to lift after.

9. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

Then you add the lift assist kit(2 big springs) works great.

10. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea.