spindles

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MikeLT1Z28, May 21, 2004.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've noticed a growing trend among manufacturers of a switch to cast iron spindle housings. you guys gonna follow that trend or stick with the alloy? or can you comment on that right now?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mike,

At this time I don't believe we have any plans of switching. For us we feel that the aluminum housing has many more benefits than does a cast iron housing.

The aluminum dissipates heat much better than iron which is important if you are going to run the blade tip speeds we do and make the bearings last. Some of the companies using cast iron housings don't run the blade tip speeds we do. The cast iron holds the heat in and is more likely to overhead the grease in the bearing causing a premature failure.

The aluminum housings are also more likely to break………………..that’s right we want them to break. Not so we can sell you more housings but to prevent selling you a new deck shell.

Here’s the way I look at it. We could make the deck out of 1” cast iron but sooner or later somebody would bend it or break it if there wasn’t something else to absorb the impact and abuse. Any impact that will break the aluminum housing is enough to hammer a deck pretty bad if the housing does not give. In the event that you hit something you wish you would not have……….things like curbs, chunks of concrete, water shut offs, pump heads, car starters and in one case a chain attached to an anchor that had sunk in the ground. We believe you’ll be much happier replacing an $80 housing rather than an $800 deck shell. It’s really pretty rare that anyone breaks a cutter housing but when it does happen we’re thankful that that’s all that happened.

Thanks,

Terry