1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spirea cut backs Spring or Fall?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Aaron Marshall, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

I believe them to be golden spirea, should they be cut back to 1/3 thier size in the spring or in the fall? I am in central Wisconsin. Thanks for your imput!
  2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

In the fall....
  3. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

Cut back before new growth in early spring.
  4. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

doesn't matter.
  5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

6. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct. March is a good time. Hack it back then.
  7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

They are very forgiving you cant hurt them. I have them behind a wall beside of my picnis pavallion with metal roof. The snow all slides down on them and stays all winter, im talking maybe 3-4' piled up on them for weeks and they come back.
  8. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

flowering shrubs should be cut back after they've flowered.
  9. grntmbfisher

grntmbfisher LawnSite Member
    from NH

spireas usually stop flowering mid summer up here and that is when they should be cut back.
  10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple goldflame that I purposely planted were they have to be trimmed (normally I don't do this) but since it is a hardy one, trimming is no prob, sometimes I will give a quick sheer after the first bloom to get a second small bloom, but in the fall when pruning my perennial I'll take about 14" off it! It keeps it from getting all broken from heavy snow and it won't get any bigger than 4' by late summer.