Spitting Oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BrianK10, Jun 28, 2005.

1. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

Hey all.

I've started to notice that at the end of the week of use, my Toro WB(36), on the left side of my transmission, it seems to be spitting a little bit of something out along the rod or shaft (whatever you may call it) that runs to the pulleys on each belt side. Its not ALOT, but its noticeable when you get down and look at it. Should I be worried? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Brian

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This trans. is packed with a thick type grease and there are no seals on the output shafts,The bushings act as the seals. If this is a higher hour unit I would check for wear on the shaft bushing,If it's good and tight I wouldn't worry about a little slobber.

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

It is known as Bentonite Grease. Your local shop will carry it. A little leaking is fine. Check it once a month through the to of the gear box. There is a threaded cap that you fill it through.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Jim, Just couldn't think of the name to save my life !

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't worry unless it quits drooling a bit of grease. Toro orders the transmissions with 4 ounces more grease than Peerless recommends. They claim it increases the transmission life by a few hundred hours.

Oldtimer