1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Splice meltdown

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by irrig8r, May 30, 2008.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

This was discovered on top of a wooden arbor that attaches to a garage.

150 W on this run of #14 wire. looks like there could have been some arcing.

Wire nut was melted to the point that the back side shaped to the wood grain. The oxidation on the wire makes it look like a portion of the conductors were exposed outside the wire nut...

Funny thing is, I saw a guy "fixing" this about two years ago. He was replacing tape and Scotchlok connectors with these. I was doing irrigation repairs on the job and the client didn't yet know I also did lighting work.

[​IMG]

Wired in to a buck-and-boost transformer (which I replaced). Didn't look closely to see if there was a fuse or a breaker on that TF, but I'll check today.

All the splices were replaced w/ Ace connectors and wire changed to #12 to the first split.

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't get the picture.

3. irrig8r

It's a big photo... to show details.

Refresh your browser maybe?

4. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Nope. All I see is a small box with a little red x in it.

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I think it was too large to load on this site.

6. irrig8r

Here's a second try. Click on the link.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/g.catanese/SD9IyfTf25I/AAAAAAAABGU/afQ-VKFPwus/DSCN0953.JPG?imgmax=512

Got the system up and running. Old 14 gauge went to ten gauge. makes me think the arbor lights used to be fed from the other direction at one time....

SUggested to the customer we re-lamp with 35 W instead of the 50 W he used. One circuit is running right at 25 A right now, and I'd like to reduce it. The other is only 10. Thinking of running a second cable out to pick up some of the heavier load... we'll see.

7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

That is the exact reason I went to inline fusing.

8. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

inline fuses and buchanan crimps. Sounds like the original person didn't know what they were doing and that makes harder to diagnose. Splitting your load and lower lamp wattage sounds like a good idea.

9. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Just for fun, my inline fusing. I have more pics with Unique I-Force trannys and fusing just for you Joey.

inline fusing.JPG

10. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

That looks sick Tim! Great Job. I would love to see the other pics!