Split apps

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RABBITMAN11, Dec 7, 2010.

1. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Went to a turf class today. Part of the class was dealing with crabgrass apps. One of the topics was about doing split apps of crabgrass control. First app goes down at half rate and second app follows with another app of crabgrass control at half rate. I was wondering if anyone puts this into practice? I was also thinking that this would also save money. Thoughts?

2. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I know there are guys on here that do. I have seen it around here before.
    I have personally never done it, but have been advised to do it on a couple occasions by my supplier.

3. RABBITMAN11

According to purdue turf extension office, it has show great results over a single app.

4. lawnlandscape

from Midwest

How many weeks after the first ap do they say you should do the second?

5. RABBITMAN11

i believe 45 days.

6. RABBITMAN11

My one concern is getting a good app at half rate. Seems like it is hard to get a even application at a low rate.

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i dont know if you can split app barricade but i prefer the one app rate early. it does not need to be hanging around any longer than it does. i am super happy with results i get from it.
    i used to use a split app of dimension and it did work pretty ok, but had to use it at max rates for very good control in a harher season. i use the one app rate of it on lawns i have to do some seeding on in spring or dormant. i usually get pretty good control by the second year(talking total lawn renovations on miracle lawns)

when i started i used pendi split app and had good results, but the staining is kinda rediculous. my tank is still yellow from 8 years ago when i happened to use the EC formula out of our hose

8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Lots of lco's do split apps. I do one app, always have, and dont seem to encounter the monster crabgrass problems i hear of here at lawn site?

9. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

i have done both. my first two rounds are 1/2 rate and 3-way mixed(i'm spraying both). apps are 6-8 weeks apart. gives good control until the middle of summer down here when it gets 95-100 degrees and no rain. fescue gets thin and weeds emerge. just about the time nutgrass comes!

if you are looking for a number. i've heard 10% longer and better control. all depends on the weather and how fast the pre breaks down in the soil.

10. lawnlandscape

from Midwest

Ya, it going to be one of those things that varys greatly by year, just like it is with the control of a single ap anyway.