Split bill: Mowing + gas cost???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else thought of this? A split bill for the customer. This is my 2nd biggest lawn. It takes 2 hours to mow and I charge $60 for it and the mower uses about 1.5 gallons per hour. 3 gallons x 3.00 per gallon = $9.00. So make a split bill of $51.00 service and $9.00 for fuel and the total is back at $60. Explain this new billing process and state it is restructuring of the billing process and currently not an increase. What if a year from now gas is $5.00 to $6.00 per gallon then what do you do.

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

convert to ethenal or soy diesel

3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I'm no expert, although I've been around the block a time or two, and look like it. :) Personally, though, I think everyone is making this gas thing way more difficult than it is.

I elected, with only 6 mowings or so left in our season, to simply eat any lost profits because of fuel. I can do so partially because I'm still showing a profit by doing so, and partially because I'm part-time, and don't rely on this industry for my primary income.

I don't think customers, in general, like the surcharge thing, and I believe billing separately would further complicate things. Basically, the old "keep it simple, stupid" idea.

I will, in all likelihood, raise prices somewhat next spring. Partly because of increased fuel costs, and partly because I hope to increase my hourly net a fraction. Unless something happens to change my mind over the winter, I'm simply going to send out a letter, or in a couple of cases, verbally inform my customers that due in no small measure to increased fuel costs, I find I must increase their fee by X number of $ to $X.XX. I mean, unless they are a complete idiot, or living in Siberia, they are going to realize fuel costs are through the roof.

Depending upon how stable the situation is next spring, or even if it has stabilized, I'll probably add that these prices will remain in effect unless there is a major change in fuel and related costs. Then, if fuel goes up another couple of bucks, I'll adjust accordingly.

I know some of you need to adjust now, especially those of you operating in markets with long cutting seasons, so by all means do so, but as a customer, I'd prefer someone would just tell me what the total price is going to be and not over-analyze the whole thing. Neill