Split drive aerators ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Curious if only Classen and Lesco are the only ones who make them ? Also if they are worth it can you really run a complete yard without picking up and dropping the tines ? With the exception of backing up and crossing paved areas ? Is it faster than a normal non split drive ?

2. Ferdelance

Ferdelance LawnSite Member

As far as I know, Classen and Lesco are the only companies that make the split drive aerators. As their turning abilties go, its not zero turn, but kind of close to a belt drive walkbehind mower. Its speed is comparable to other aerators. I bought a split drive aerator and already have a regular aerator. I think the split drive is much better than a regular aerator.

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought the Classen 26" this fall. I've used it maybe 10 hours and have really liked it. Yes you still have to pick it up and turn in close quarters. It turns is about a 8' diameter without tearing up the soil. Once you get around the perimeter you dont have to pick it up again. I like it.

Scott

4. You can make 180 degree truns with a reg drive Classen.

The split drive to me only seems like it helps, but I have the reg drive and used the split drive side by side and they seem exactly the same, very little difference between them.

For $200 or so more, you spend your own money.

5. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I rented a Ryan 5 saturday and then demoed a Lesco split drive yesterday. From my limited experience, the split drive is better. I want to try a Plug'R.

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

With a little more practice, I've found that I can make some pretty tight turns without tearing up the existing grass. I get more and more happy with the Classen 26" Split Drive every day.

Scott