Split Drum

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by oldturf, Oct 1, 2006.

1. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I am going to buy a new walk behind aerator. Is a split drum worth the extra money, and which brand is best.
  2. J.J.

J.J. LawnSite Member

I bought a turfco turnair 26 which is a spit drum aerator and has left and right breaking. It is the best aerator I have ever used.
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Split drums are absolutely worth the money. Turfco's is very good, Ryan makes a nice one, Lesco's is good too.
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I was able to demo the turfco 26" with the chariot at an EXPO....WOW!!!!
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You want to see an aerator? Try a Plugr 800 cam driven hydro, unreal.
  6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, excellent machine.The Plugr's pull a good quality plug, and it pokes more plugs a square foot than does our Ryan chain and drum aerators. And a hell of a lot better on the employee's,who run the machine, in regards to tireing them bone tired over a long day of aeration.
  7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Correction. Ryan does not make a "Split Drum" aerator. They have the straight line aerators. Turfco and Classen (they make Lesco also) are the only ones with split / driveable aerators. The difference between them is how they steer. The Claussen has two drive systems and you steer by releasing one belt or the other, stopping one side or the other. The stopped side will tear as the unit turns. the unit is slow turning and top heavy so it is bad on hills. The Turfco units use a differential and disc brakes to turn. You use a brake to slow down one side and that speeds up the other side. Just like an old ford or JD tractor. It turns quickly with the touch of a finger and is great on slopes as it has a very low center of gravity. Also the Turfco can be hooked to a sulky to make it a high speed ride on unit for large lawns. See them at Turfco.com or call 800-679-8201