Split lawns

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Mar 22, 2006.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

In North Georgia, we see a good number of properties that have split lawns. This usually means warm season in the front and cool season in the back. Normally Bermuda and Fescue.

This is because builders are too cheap to sod the entire lot, or there is too much shade in the back to support Bermuda.

Something tells me that most of you would blow a gasket trying to service properties like this.

It is indeed a pain because with warm season and cool season in the same lawn, you almost never can apply the same product in the same visit. In fact it is a challenge to manage both with only 7 visits per season.

The only way to manage them properly is to have about 10 visits per year, but most people won't pay that. My only solution thus far was to put a 12% upcharge on any split lawn due to the logistics involved.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

They do the same thing here only with bluegrass sod in front and cheap rye grass in the back.But at least we can treat them with the same program!

3. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

In Ks its even worse. Tonds of lawns that have a mixture of zoysia and cool sean grasses.

About 15 years ago the new thing was to pu tin Zoysia -- the miracle grass. But then, people sicovered that its brown for 75% of our year and it has lots of disease and insect ussues. Plus -- zero shade tolerance. Very hard to maintain these lawns properly becuase of the different nutritiaonl schedules of both.

I have stopped accepting these clients unless they will agree to a renovation and switching over to one grass or the other completely.

I used to have to add applications. If they can't pay for it -- I have plenty of work without them.