Split or Not To Split.......Per-M

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jrblawncare, Mar 17, 2002.

1. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I 'am ready to start year 2 of doing applictions, because of a warm start to spring last year I did not split my Pre M application.....Pendulum was put down at the full lable rate between 3-15 and 4-15 . Some of my accounts still had a problem with crabgrass.We had alot of rain in may and june and I beleave the barrier broke because of all that rain. I'am not sure if I would have split it would have made a differance or not. Round #2 goes down between 4-15 to 5-30 which is Broadleaf Hericide. It seems that things are warming-up early again this year...Should I split or not ?

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Apr 15 sounds late for pre emergent in your area to me.
    2. Application accuracy, area measurement vs pounds could be a problem.
    3. Application eveness depending on spreader condition, wind, adjustment etc could be a problem.

Any correlation between date done, time product layed on the lawn before getting rained or watered in, break outs on lawn edges along curbs, walks drives?

From a timing issue alone along with goofy early warm weather I'm putting down the max rate of .17 Dimension with fert as a single app using a small fert prill for greater product density. Dimension has some post emergent punch for very young crabgrass.

3. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks....I also will add that this is a spray app. I feel good about my numbers and accuracy but "Yes" I'am still learning. I know Dimension is a great product, but at this time I'am staying away from it because of cost.I may use the full rate and see what happens this year.Other opinons welcomed...