Split Seeder

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by sglawn, Sep 12, 2006.

1. sglawn

sglawn LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

I have a quick question and was wondering if you guys could help. I have a customer who is wanting his yard split seeded. I have never split seeded a yard and don't even know what a split seeding machine looks like. I always run a aerator and need to know what a split seeder is cuz he doesn't want it aerated. If you guys can give me any brand names or any web sites where i can go look at them please let me know.

Thanks for all replies.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I think you mean SLIT Seeder......they are very common. It is a small WB machine that has a small hopper on the front to hold the seed and drops it down and disk type wheels cut small slits into the ground and the seed falls into the slits....it allows more precise coverage and allows better germination in most cases. You can rent one about anywhere, even Home Cheapo for about $60 a day

3. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Its Amachine that splits the seed In half and that helps the germination??:confused: :drinkup: :dancing:

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I thought it was a machine that splits in half so you can cover twice the ground in the same time.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Go to Turfco.com and look at the LS-20 Lawn Overseeder. It is a very good easy to operate slicing seeder. The customer is wrong by the way. It would be best to aerate first. Let the cores dry and then slit seed two ways over the cores breaking them up. If the customers complaint is about the cores they will be gone when you are done.

6. EastCoast

EastCoast LawnSite Senior Member

Can you benefit from a slit seeder all season long to keep your lawn looking good?