1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

split shaft trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

are the split shaft multi tool trimmers any good? i need a new trimmer and i'm buying one this week. but i was thinking about getting a split shaft and useing it most of the time for trimming and occssionaly for edgeing when i need 2 people to edge. so my question is how well will the spit shaft hold up when occassionaly changeing heads. thanks
  2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

preface my statement by saying i don't have one.

it seems to me, when a tool is produced to do many things, it does not do any of them as well as a tool dedicated to one use.
  3. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We have the Stihl powerhead, MS100, and just about all the attachements for it. It is used by our shrub crewman.

It is primarily used for the long, articulating hedge trimmers and the pole saw functionality.

We use it for line trimming and blade edging when he mows an occassional lawn.

I have heard no complaints. The only drawback I can see is the time it takes to change from line trimmer to blade edger. If you are only mowing lawns, it might make more sense to have two machines.

DFW Area Landscaper
  4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

If the powerhead fails then you have no tools at all. I would buy seperate units.
  5. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i allready have seperate units just looking for antoher unit that i could use 95% of the time as a trimmer and occassionaly as a stick edger when i need two edgers which isn't offten.
  6. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the echo 230 with pruning saw and trimmer head. It has worked fine, and I'm looking forward to buying more attachments. I haven't had any issue with changing attachments. I wish I had bought the 260 for a little more power with pruning.
  7. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

If you already have dedicated units - GO FOR IT! I really like our split-boom tools - easy on and off and functional.
  8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I dunno about other manufacturers...but the one downside with the Tanaka system is that when you buy it you are stuck buying a weedwhacker. I wish you could just buy the powerhead/shaft by itself. That way if like someone mentioned your power head goes out you can just buy another head instead of another whole unit.
  9. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

I have 6 or 7 of the units, every year or two I replace the little plastic clip on the power head side and depending on how much you change has an impact on the plastic clip in the attachment side. clips are about 3.00 each. I really like mine, If a weed wacker dies, just change the power head and your back in business. I normally carry 3 power heads with an array of attachments. One big thing is when you are not using an attachment have the tube where it is inserted into the power head closed with the little rubber cap that comes with it. Keeps dirt & such out and makes them last a lot longer. Also the KM130 is now available almost the same weight 5 cc bigger.

Hope this helps, littlenic
  10. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I have the echo pas-260. It is great. The only problem is if it goes you lose 2 machines. I have a trimer and edger for it. They both work great and have plenty of power. If you go with echo go with the 260 not the 230 because the 230 it homeowner. Next year I plan to get a hedge clipper head and power pruner head for it. It is easy to change out attachments. The only problem is that you must keep the caps on unused attachments or else they can get ruined by dirt.

Just my 0.2 :)