Splitting ornamental grasses.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KenH, Sep 12, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Can you split any type of ornamental grass?? Im pretty sure the answer is yes, just want to double check. Thanks.
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Yup, In the spring, just as it pushes the new growth.
  3. KenH

from CT

Thanks, thats what I thought. I planted some dwarf fountains at my house last year and lost 1. Ill just split what I have instead of buying a new one.
  4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I split our Miscanthus (big 6 foot) a bit over a year ago, in fall.

Use an axe on that one. The roots are too hard for a shovel.

I'm going to "halve" the rootballs every 3rd year. Back half off and fill cavity with soil in year three. Then in year 5 remove the front half.

Then repeat every 3 to 5 years, so the root mass maintains a large, but not giant size.
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

mvaden - no need to break out the axe. Take a garden spade and sharpen the end. Put the blade on an angle, and push into the grass roots with your foot. Slices through pretty easily. I did some miscanthus this spring that were so big that there was a dead spot in the middle about 3' wide.
  6. KenH

from CT

Thanks guys. Thats what happens when grasses are not split. They get a big round 'dead' circle in the middle.
  7. capescaper

capescaper LawnSite Member

almost all my grasses have come from customers houses when the said that they were to big
  8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

tell ya something else

We take the divisions of everything in the spring, divide them down to 1 gal size. Pot them up and sell them.

Ssshhhh..............don't tell anyone.............our secret....;)
  9. thill

thill LawnSite Member

We will be sure to keep your secret........ THANKS
  10. bobcrane

bobcrane LawnSite Member

Had a new client just call and ask if I could split her ornamental grasses. She says the person she used to have split them but did not remove them, just spread them out in place. This helped them to bush out more.

Have you ever heard of such a thing? If so, how do you do it?

I was wondering if he actually split them and just took the excess with him for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread. ;-)